Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m thinking about adopting a young cat from a animal shelter sometime soon. I currently live with my parents in a 3 story, 4 bedroom house. I plan on moving into an apartment sometime within 4-8 months.
If I get a cat today (hypothetically), should I let the cat roam the entire house? Or keep it on one floor (the basement, middle or top story)?

I’m asking because I don’t want my cat to get used to such a big space then get sad/depressed or disappointed once he/she moves into a much smaller apartment.

This will be my first time owning a cat so I would really appreciate a more experienced person to give me some insight on this! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
My suggestion is that rather than getting a cat now, wait until you've already moved into your apartment. Moving is always disruptive for animals and it would be better for you and your new cat to go into your apartment to avoid all the upheaval and turmoil with moving. Then the cat will be able to adjust to your new apt, and avoid having to re-adjust to a new place after a few months. Four to eight months go quickly and in my opinion will be better for you and for your new kitty/cat. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts