Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found: The One.

I have a HUGE litterchest. It is 2'x2'x4' and I keep it 3-4" deep in clumping cat litter. I have always had a problem with breaking those flimsy plastic scoops where the shovel-head meets the handle and/or flipping the litter and waste up into the air when encountering a clump stuck to the bottom/side of the box.
No more!

I used to use this scoop product, because it was better made than the others, a little more heavier-duty and it had larger holes for the clay to sift through...but it still had difficulty being pushed through my deep clumping clay litter and would crack at the head/handle connection if I wasn't careful and/or whenever anyone else tried to muscle their way through the litter without using the technique I found preserved the life of the scoop.
http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/ ... uct=104158

UNTIL....I found THIS ONE at PetsMart last week! If they hadn't been OUT of the one pictured above, I'd have probably never realized THIS one was on the market! There isn't ONE thing I dislike about it. I love it. I think it will last forever.
http://www.durascoop.com/features.htm

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We've had it for a couple of years and love it. So far, no rust either. It does occassionally miss some very small pieces, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
We have a few like that at the shelter. We also use large flat spatula-like things to scrape the clumps away from the sides before we scoop. Each room has 9 - 10 large tubs for litterboxes, so heavy duty "scoopware" is a necessity.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Yup, since my boxes are almost the same size as yours Heidi, I'd had the same problem with scoops breaking. I got one of the ones you showed a year or so ago and it's wonderful. Cleans up really easily when necessary too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've been longing for that scooper--but fear my husband who has never scooped the box simply wouldn't understand why the proper utensil albeit expensive is so important to properly doing the job.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jack&Harley said:
I've been longing for that scooper--but fear my husband who has never scooped the box simply wouldn't understand why the proper utensil albeit expensive is so important to properly doing the job.

Leslie
Is he a mechanic, electrician, plumber or carpenter? Does he have any of those skills? Heck, even a computer programmer could be made to understand about having the proper tool.
I had to laugh...many, many years ago, a boyfriend asked why I had so many combs and brushes for my hair. I asked him if he only used one socket and one wrench on his car's engine and that stopped his questioning me about hair brushes.

I wish I had known about this scooper years ago! For the past several years I had been toying with the idea of taking that plastic purple thing to a manufacturing shop and asking how much it would cost them to make me one similar so I didn't have to buy several new plastic ones every year.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Unfortunately no, his job uses his hands mostly. But shock of all shocks I came home yesterday and he was telling me all these tasks he'd accomplished while I was at work (he's been out of a job for 2 months) and he admitted to scooping the litter box, I was in disbelief and shock and had to sit down.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jack&Harley said:
...he admitted to scooping the litter box, I was in disbelief and shock and had to sit down.
Leslie
Whoa! That must have been quite a scare for you! Did your knees shake? Was your breath coming in little gasps? Did you see white floaty-things in front of your eyes? Man! You are sooo lucky you didn't pass out and land on the floor, giving yourself a concussion. *nods head* Disaster was narrowly averted, there. Quick thinking on your part to sit right down to lessen the danger. Shooooo-boy! We need to let our men know they need to break this kind of momentous news to us slowly and gently, not just blurt it out like that!
Hey, did he do the laundry, too?
....boy, oh, boy, if he did...I'm not sure if Leslie could have survived that information on top of him also cleaning the litterbox. I know I'd probably expire right on the spot if my husband told me he had cleaned the litter box AND done the laundry.
You should have seen me last summer when my husband mowed the lawn... 8O I'm telling you, it was a near miss. We almost had to call the paramedics for me.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jenn,
"E" is the one I have used for years, possibly the last 5yrs or so? I've tried the other two plastic scoops which did not hold up as well as the Pearls scoop. Until now, I have NEVER tried a metal scoop. I may have tried one once, it bent and that was IT.

I loooves my new one!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm going to have to go out now and buy one of those scoops. Tessie's litter box is deep becuase I don't want the pee to stick to the pan. Everytime I scoop I swear the plastic handle is going to break. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
~*Regina*~ said:
Everytime I scoop I swear the plastic handle is going to break.
Gadz...don't you just CRINGE when you hear that little *crack* and then you lift the scoop to your eyes so you can see if the plastic is only discolored or if it really has cracked?

·
Registered
580 Posts
His list of chores he'd accomplished was-- did all the dishes, laundry, brought the trash can and recycling bin around to the back (trash comes tuesday morning, the cans usually sit out front until Saturday when he finally decides to bring them back around) so that alone left me in shock then he said he scooped the box. I was like holy crap who are you? It made my day, it made my week, it made my month.

Leslie

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Amazing...2 pages on a litter scoop! :lol:

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jack&Harley said:
His list of chores he'd accomplished was-- did all the dishes, laundry, brought the trash can and recycling bin around to the back (trash comes tuesday morning, the cans usually sit out front until Saturday when he finally decides to bring them back around) so that alone left me in shock then he said he scooped the box. I was like holy crap who are you? It made my day, it made my week, it made my month.
Leslie
Heck, I am in shock now! :yikes

....I know, :lol: two pages about a pooper-scooper! It IS funny! :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts