Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself -- I'm Liz.

I own six cats -- I've just ''adopted'' a new one, which I was planning on putting up for adoption at a no-kill shelter. She's a Manx, about a year in a half old. Very, very skinny since her owner thought it'd be quiant to feed her tuna instead of cat food.

I brought her home -- she was very personable, and pettable. Then, when she escaped into my livingroom and came in contact with my other cats, she went nuts -- hissing and growling at anyone who came near her. I wanted to isolate her in my bedroom for a week, so she could get used to the house; she escaped, and I can't get her back into the room with out claws and bites. Can you PLEASE help me!?

If you need any more information to better understand and to help my situation -- please ask!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im no expert but I would say - round up your other cats into a room and close the door. Then put as many clothes as you can on and use a big towel to 'catch her' or chase her in to the room you want her to be safe in. Once she is in, take it from there with the introduction and just be careful going in and out so she doesn't escape again. I find that leading with your leg as you open the door works most of the time.

Good Luck!

Lorna

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
you might also try luring her with food. maybe that tuna she's used to. :) stick it in front of her nose so she gets the scent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would agree.....

get your other cats in a closed room. so you can calm the new cat down. rescue remedy also works great for calming cats. Maybe while she is sleeping you can get her and put her in a closed room again and try the introductions slowly. She had a normal reaction when seeing new cats and it will take some time for her to get used to the new guys. Good luck! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts