Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Boo pee'd in the house today and dads pitching a hissy fit and saying Either I do something or he goes outside.It(the peeing) is due to a female cat in heat being here.He'll spray when any female cat is near even though he's been fixed since the end of November.So my mother told me to put him on the back screened in porch for now.Me and Mom came up with the idea of a cat Enclosure like we had for a feral that kept coming back after we gave her away.Well I need ideas for one and pics for one some of you have.I have no where to move til this summer and live on disability.I pay my parents more than I was paying for rent on my old apartment and should be allowed to keep him inside because I even payed them as they called it a "pet deposit" that they used to buy stuff they didn't need.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Wow... I hate to say this, as I don't know the full situation, but your parents sound kind of mean.
I'm on disability and live with my dad. He never even asked for rent, but I offered to give him $100 (it was $200 until more medical bills came). simply because I figure I ought to give something back for using extra utilities (I live in the basement, and always have the furnace cranked up because I'm a wimp about the cold). Yeah, he doesn't much like the cats and the messes they make sometimes...but he's never told me to get rid of them or anything (just grumbles about "those d*mn cats").

A screened porch seems plenty fine to me. But if you have to have him in an even more specific area, then yes...and enclosure would be suitable.
There's pre-made ones you can buy, but they're well into the $200-$300 range for the cheap ones. I think if you're handy enough, you could build your own for probably less than $100.
2x4s and some "deer netting" would probably be the main materials. Deer netting is what is suggested to use when you build a drop-trap for ferals, because it's sturdy enough to hold them in. Just be sure the holes aren't too big for kitty to slip through and escape (cats can fit in amazingly small spaces!) OR get their head stuck.

Anyway, here's an example of ones pre-made and available to buy...

If/when you make yours, keep in mind that vertical space is preferred rather than a more horizontal/laid out "room" for kitty (unless yours is wimpy like mine and doesn't like heights!)
This page has links to many companies where you can buy some
Various cat enclosures
I'm sure there's more kinds/brands if you do a search for cat enclosures.

Good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't like me and I don't like them.They made me be didn't raise me(I took care of myself).My mom thinks I'm not good and compares me to my prettier female cousins.Dad well he calls me a animal hoarder only five pets that were mine and numerous ones that they didn't care for that was theirs.All of theirs I re homed too when they said I owned them.Three died from natural causes other two I still have.Do you think Chicken wire and wood would work?And How big should it be?I don't think deer netting would work because Boo chews.

·
Registered
763 Posts
First you should take your cat to the vet and make sure he doesn't have a UTI (urinary tract infection) or other problem.

UTIs hurt, and do not get better on their own, AND a male cat is in great danger of blocking if he has urinary tract problems. A blockage is fatal in 24 hours without emergency veterinary attention. And it is a terrible horrible painful way to die, the bladder bursts.

In addition, get the female spayed. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a vet appointment for tomorrow and Dad changed his tune when I told him I might be leaving if cat has to go.Told me to take him to the vet tomorrow come home and we'll talk about it like adults.This is a new vet(had to switch when I moved back)and my cat loving relatives suggested him.Also how do I catch the female she's cared for by my youngest sister but is un social with everyone but her.She always hides but she seems to like Boo maybe I could put Boo in a closed crate and catch her?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah, I got to thinking about that last night. Chicken wire would probably be good (I think paws might fit through, but not head). Or there's a type of fencing that's like chicken wire but with squares...again, make sure the holes are small enough to actually keep your cat inside! My neighbor has the square fencing, BUT the cats get through it very easily (it's short enough they could jump over it, so I dunno why they bother with going through the middle of it).

2x4 wood planks/boards would probably be best, as I guess they're nice and sturdy and heavy...and I think relatively cheap.
If I were to make one, I would make it at least 6 feet tall, if not 10 feet if possible. And probably at least 4 feet diameter. Also, make a door that's easy for you to access, so feeding/playing isn't a hassle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I have too I was making it 6ft tall and 10 ft by 6ft in length
And put a top so he couldn't escape and put a feeding station up near the top?The female might be re homed with me after she's fixed so I could take her with me and know she's safe.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The smaller fencing is called Rat wire. You can tie layers of it together with other wire or zip-ties. DO NOT get pressure treated wood. It has toxins in it. Instead you can paint regular wood to make it last longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts