Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! New guy here. I want to get a kitten/kittens. People are all telling me get two as one will be lonely. Others tell me get one as two will keep you awake all night. I'm torn. I saw this and want to adopt these two cats...Elliott and Violet.



http://www.wharfrescue.ca/

Check the link above...man, I cant believe people would do that to a cat, as in Elliotts case! So sad....I am definitely interested in these two. I have to learn how much to feed them. When? Dry or wet? Lots to learn yet but I'm willing to give it a whirl. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
Get both, get both, get both!!!!

I'm speaking from experience. Kittens have so much energy, they need a little running partner. Not sure if that'll help you sleep, I put my twins in their bedroom every night. It's all they've ever known. But members here have lots of tricks and hints about getting through the night with kittens.

Poor little Elliott! :(

They're both adorable, run, don't walk! :D

Oh, mostly wet food - and you can feed kittens all they want!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marie73 said:
Get both, get both, get both!!!!

I'm speaking from experience. Kittens have so much energy, they need a little running partner. Not sure if that'll help you sleep, I put my twins in their bedroom every night. It's all they've ever known. But members here have lots of tricks and hints about getting through the night with kittens.

Poor little Elliott! :(

They're both adorable, run, don't walk! :D

Oh, mostly wet food - and you can feed kittens all they want!
Really? All they want? Won't their little tummies explode? :yikes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Capta said:
marie73 said:
Get both, get both, get both!!!!

I'm speaking from experience. Kittens have so much energy, they need a little running partner. Not sure if that'll help you sleep, I put my twins in their bedroom every night. It's all they've ever known. But members here have lots of tricks and hints about getting through the night with kittens.

Yeah, I just saw the Vacuum trick on the Board! 8O
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
Won't their little tummies explode?
:lol: :lol:

Others will give you advice on exact amounts, but they burn up soooo many calories running around that you won't have to worry about kittens getting fat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marie73 said:
Won't their little tummies explode?
:lol: :lol:

Others will give you advice on exact amounts, but they burn up soooo many calories running around that you won't have to worry about kittens getting fat!
I see you have four cats. Wow, is it a lot of work? You must be cleaning Litterboxes all day! :) Cat hair everywhere? Do you let them outside?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
I have three litter boxes, I clean them at least once a day, but it only takes about 2 minutes to scoop all three. They all have long hair, but only Cleo's is noticeable. On my pillow and the sheet next to me. Looks like I sleep with a cave man! They have toys and 5 cat trees and 9 window sills they can sit on. There are two bird feeders they watch outside. They do NOT go outside. It's not safe where I live - dogs, evil teenagers, coyotes, poison, traffic, etc.

It's really not much work, they're so fun to watch, especially the twins. They give me so much love and companionship. Cleo comforts me when I'm down. She's my talker.

Find a good vet and make sure you have money put aside in case something happens.

I can't imagine not having my girls in my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
Yes, get both! We currently have eight, and I occasionally foster litters of kittens, so the numbers in our house fluctuate...but it is GREAT FUN! I also found that my *best* kitties were a Trio from the same litter, two brothers and a sister. They did *everything* together; eat, sleep, play...everything. Anywhere one was, you knew the other two weren't far behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
marie73 said:
I have three litter boxes, I clean them at least once a day, but it only takes about 2 minutes to scoop all three. They all have long hair, but only Cleo's is noticeable. On my pillow and the sheet next to me. Looks like I sleep with a cave man! They have toys and 5 cat trees and 9 window sills they can sit on. There are two bird feeders they watch outside. They do NOT go outside. It's not safe where I live - dogs, evil teenagers, coyotes, poison, traffic, etc.

It's really not much work, they're so fun to watch, especially the twins. They give me so much love and companionship. Cleo comforts me when I'm down. She's my talker.

Find a good vet and make sure you have money put aside in case something happens.

I can't imagine not having my girls in my life.
Well, their all gorgeous! Sounds like you love them all! The Vet...that's something lots of people keep telling me that I'll end up paying thousands of dollars in the long run with the two of them. Hey, I have four daughters, I can handle two more kids! :luv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heidi n Q said:
Yes, get both! We currently have eight, and I occasionally foster litters of kittens, so the numbers in our house fluctuate...but it is GREAT FUN! I also found that my *best* kitties were a Trio from the same litter, two brothers and a sister. They did *everything* together; eat, sleep, play...everything. Anywhere one was, you knew the other two weren't far behind.
Eight cats!? Wow, how many Litterboxes do you have? Yes, I'm leaning to getting both. I'll be meeting them tomorrow and as soon as I see them both, I KNOW I'll want them both!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Two is much better than one! When you only have one, you can't get adorable pictures of two exhausted kitties curled up tight in a ball together! Seriously, though, they'll be great companions to each other, and a cat that has a playmate is a cat who's less likely to destroy your home because he's bored!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
After four girls, two cats should be a breeeeeze! :lol:

I wanted to comment about litterboxes.
Like I said, we have eight cats, but we have had as many as a dozen at times. I usually only keep two litterboxes...but with a twist. I keep one standard "jumbo" box in the bedroom for whatever cats are sleeping with me and the main litterbox is a home-made one that is 2'x2'x4', looks just like a Hope Chest but has a cat-flap in the front center and is vented to the outside to help control dust and immediate poop-odor. As long as the cats kick sand (litter) over their poop, it neutralizes the smell and the only odor we get is a slight whiff from a fresh stinky as it drops out and before it gets covered. If the kitty doesn't cover it the vent pulls most of that odor outside anyways.

No guests have *ever* smelled "cat" in our home. We also keep cat hair under control by feeding premium food, frequent brushing of the long-hairs and frequent sweeping/vacuuming.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
Unless they get injured or sick, they just need their basic shots, which they may receive at the shelter, and yearly check-ups, which aren't that much. Your shelter may take care of their spay/neuter surgery or give you a low-cost coupon. Even if they stay inside like mine, I would get them microchipped, which is very inexpensive also, I think our Humane Society charges $15 per cat.

Cali broke two toes when she was about four months old (jumping down from the kitchen counter and bringing a saucer down with her which landed on her foot). And Cleo was sick when I got her and I didn't know it yet. Those have been my only unexpected expenses.

Thousands? 8O Not normally.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
Yup, with two, you get cuddles!










 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the wonderful and helpful responses! I am so excited, I cannot wait to get these two home. I believe I was told that they would be ready in 2-3 weeks. Argghh...oh, well, at least I can start buying all the necessities now. I'll keep you guys informed as the process goes on and when I get them home I'll have plenty of stories and photos!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DesnBaby said:
Aww, I hope you get them, their so cute. :D
I just got an Email from the lady running the Shelter, shes bringing them in to meet me tomorrow!!(Their in a shelter an hour away, and she's willing to bring them in to town) I'll then pay for them BOTH......then in 2 weeks....their mine!! :luv
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,514 Posts
What happened to the kitty with the blue wrap on?
That's Cali - the one who broke her two toes. Thanksgiving day, of course!
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top