Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: I have a cat named Samantha. She is about 10 or 11 years old. She's a pretty small cat, but had always been a little overweight. Almost two months ago I noticed that she was getting kinda thin. As of a month ago she was too thin. I put food and water right near her and she would drink the water and ignore the food. I told my mom that we needed to take her to the vet ASAP but my mom complained about how expensive the vet was. If I had the money myself (i'm only 17) I would take her to the vet right away. I'm afraid that she might be really sick. I haven't found any vomit or anything to show signs of sickness other than the thinness.

Today she has been crying loudly. She was always pretty energetic, and now she is sitting in my sister's bedroom not moving. She would also ALWAYS lick your hand if you put it in front of her (she'd keep licking until there was nothing left to lick). I put my hand in front of her and.. she didn't even move. Now I'm crying writing about this because I have grown up with Samantha... I can't deal with her being like this . I put a bowl of water next to her and she got up and started drinking. She is drinking slowly, but for long periods of time. I put some food next to the water bowl and she won't eat any of it. I'm looking for some wet food that we might have, but it would probably be past it's Sell By date anyways. It's a Sunday night, so I won't be able to call the vet to make an appointment until after school tomorrow. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make sure she is ok until she can be seen by a vet? :( :cry:

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm so sorry samantha's not feeling well.... i know how scary it is to see a kitty you have grown up with not acting like herself. but you are doing the right thing by getting her to the vet as soon as you can. is there any way you can make your mom understand that it is an emergency, so that maybe she could take samantha into the vet during the day tomorrow?
i wish i could help you more... wet food sounds like a good idea... were you able to find any? is she still using the litterbox ok? when one of my cats i grew up with started losing a lot of weight and drinking a lot of water, we found out it was because he had diabetes... so i'm wondering if maybe that is a possibility.
you sound like a great kitty-owner. good luck.... i'm thinking of you and samantha and hoping everything turns out well!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Is she completely not moving? Pick her up and put her on all fours to see what she does. Watch kittys breathing to make sure she isn't having trouble. And make sure she is very warm! Get a heating pad for her to lay on(with a towel over it so she isn't to hot). If you haven't already, try giving her wet food, or dry food mixed with her water. She may have worms, she may have a serious condition. The vest thing you can do is call around at vets and see if any of them have billing options, accept credit cards and/or checks and get cost approximates.

Please keep us updated

·
Registered
366 Posts
I hope you got her to the vet. I'm no expert - and maybe I'm hyper-sensitive to certain behaviors because I just lost a kitty to sudden onset kidney failure, but what you describe sounds a lot like how my Norville was acting the day before we took him to the vet and found out he was in 90% kidney failure.

The thinness, the lack of appetite, the excessive drinking, and the extreme lethargy are all symptoms of kidney disease or failure.

I'm probably completely wrong - and I hope so - but please get her to the vet and keep us posted. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I guess other things can cause this problem, but mine died of kidney failure too and had all those symptoms so please take your cat to the vets so that they may be able to help. Also when there find out whether they have any organisation that can pay for at least the check-ups in future or certain medical treatments. Here I think they call it PDSA and you just fill in form with proof. Am looking into it myself for the future.
Hope this helps.

ospunkyo - Sorry to hear you lost your kitten. Must've been terrible shock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
oh my - my heart goes out to you and specially Samantha... hoping she is OK but I hate to say it - as I suffer from human kidney disease - those symptoms are all too familiar to me :( I hope it isn't as serious ans Samantha is going to be OK. fingers crossed. you sound like a lovely caring owner of Samantha even at 17 and I had a bit of a tear reading your story... please let us know how it turns out. big hugs

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I can only empathize with you and hope that she gets to the vet soon. There are emergency vets who are at the office 24 hours a day, and some vets who will open the office for an emergency. Knowing how you love your cat, I'm guessing that you''d be willing to pay your parents back if they take her to the vet. At least, they'll know you're sincerely worried.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( She is gone. She died monday morning, an hour before the vet opened. I couldn't find any wet food and it was too late for any stores to be open. I'm so lost now, I feel terrible that I couldn't do anything. I got the e-mail notification of replies to my message but the web site wouldn't load that morning. I wish I had thought to try mixing the food and water. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh no. that's devistating news - for us as well as you. I'm so sorry to hear that.. I was thinking of Samantha these past few days and had my fingers crossed for her. All I can say is that I really hope that it wasn't too painful for her in her last hours, and I'm sure she knew that you tried so hard for her and loved her very much.

I am only new here, but I am sure everyone who has read this thread are feeling for you very much.

Please take care over there...

big virtual hugs

·
Registered
366 Posts
oh zverg - I'm so sorry to hear that she died - I've been thinking about you and Samnantha the last few days and hoping for the best. I hope that it was a peaceful passing for her.

You did the best that you could in the situation, in the moment, and that's all anyone can ask for. I'm sure she knew how much you loved her, and felt your love and concern in her final days. How hard it is to lose a kitty friend!

(((hugs)))

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm terribly sorry to hear of her passing. I had a kitten die within 1 hour of a vet appointment, it's devasting to be so close, yet hit that brick wall... :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
zverg, Please don't blame yourself. If she was that ill, it is doubtful that canned food would of helped.

Maybe in the future with new kitties (if you decide to get one) you can save up a little emergency fund beforehand so that you don't have to worry should a crisis come up.

I'm so very sorry for your loss and understand your pain. :(

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope you can feel our concern for you, because it's genuine. I think Brenda has an excellent idea. Start putting aside a few dollars a week as an emergency fund. I believe that rescuing a kitten now might help you overcome your grief. It will never replace Samantha in your heart, but will choose its own spot. Samantha was with you more than half your life, and you will never forget her, but the pain will become less intense. You are obviously a caring person. I pray that you will have peace of mind. God bless you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem isn't that my mom didn't have the money, she just said "oh she's getting old" whenever I said she needed to go to the vet. Even now she's still saying that, even though I told her that it would have been worth the cost to still have her today.

I felt terrible that I was crying more over this than I was when my Grandmother died, but a friend just pointed out to me why it is ok. Samantha was pure and innocent. She never lied, she was never mean. She was always kind, never bothersome. Some people say losing a pet is like losing a family member, but I've found that it's actually worse. I'm talking about more distant family members though, not like parents siblings.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh how sad :( you mom needs to know that 10 to 11 years old is still fairly young for most cats. 3 of my cats are 10 years or older.

·
Registered
44 Posts
no, a cat *IS* a family member. Specially when she was YOUR kitty then she is as close as a close family member. You had this cat for such a long time, and no doubt will have, once the initial grief passes so many beautiful memories of growing up with her. Those times when she would come snuggle up to you in bed just to say hello/keep you company. Her purring at you helping to perk you up when you felt down. The most adorable things she would do at the most unexpected times, the fact that she was prob. the happiest member of the family to see you come home after you'd been gone for awhile etc. A pet is not just something you feed and forget. They're a friend and companion and don't you dare feel silly for crying at her loss. It's likely you actually spent more time with Samantha than your Grandmother! (I don't mean that in a bad way).

I think rescuing a kitten, perhaps not so soon, but when you feel ready, is an excellent idea. But only when you feel ready inside to bring a new furry friend into your domain.

I am sad to hear of your mother's attitude but I think that really suggests more of her overall feeling towards the cat - which is sad - but perhaps understandable.

I am sure that if Samantha could tell you something right now it would go something like: 'purr meow nuzzle meow mrmow purr" which roughly translates as: "I know you loved me with all your heart, and I know there is nothing you could do for me. I love you"

chin up.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I am sorry about your loss, I'm sure your kitty is in kitty heaven now. If you do decide to get another cat, I also notion the idea to set up an emergency fund, just in case something ever did happen, you can take the kitty to the emergency vet immediately without having to wait for the vet to open. <<))

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am so sorry :cry:
Not easy to do things the way you want, when you are seventeen...
Sometimes i wish we could turn back time, and do things differently, but we can't.
I know how you are feeling, i lost my little lovely rabbit a couple of months ago, and could not stop thinking, maybe i could have been a better "mother" for her :cry:

Take care, *hugs*

1 - 19 of 19 Posts