Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure most of you have read that Sailor Jerry is a cat we found in out back yard and have been caring for. He comes in sometimes but isn't comfortable staying the entire night. For christmas I wanted to make him a heated bed. My grandmother had a beloved calico named Eppy who passed away some years ago but my grandmother kept her enclosed litter box. She, my fiancee and I cleaned it all up with this stuff that is supposed to kill the scent of previous owners and I brought it home, then I sewed a big comfy bed to put inside that has a pocket in the bottom where you can put handwarmers from walmart. I put one in and it made the entire thing really cozy. He didn't go in, instead he slept on the patio chair again. I tried putting some of his blankets in there, nothing- treats? nope still ignores the box. I knew this would be difficult because he doesn't like small enclosed places and I'm sure someone has probably tried to live trap him in the past so I was curious- any advice?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cats can be frustrating. They really love laying where they´re not supposed to and not sleeping where you´d like them too. It IS strange that he wouldn´t appreciate something warm, though. I usually do the trading thing with my cats: put something they like to lay on in the new place. My cat loved laying on a rug, i finally put it in her box. She understands now that her box is for her to lay in... but it still doesn´t make it her favourite place to stay (she still prefers my bed, anytime).
Can you pet your cat a lot? What about putting his things in the box, putting him in and petting him like crazy? (my cats after a lot of petting finally melt and stay wherever i put them)
Still, i´d like to add, cats can always tell old smells, even if you clean and spray. He might not like sitting in someone else´s litter box (while some cats love stealing litter boxes) and it seems like a good enough reason. Maybe another box?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
For whatever reason, he doesn't feel comfortable or safe in an enclosed area. So put the hand warmers/heating pad under a towel or blanket on the chair he likes to sleep on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cats can be frustrating. They really love laying where they´re not supposed to and not sleeping where you´d like them too. It IS strange that he wouldn´t appreciate something warm, though. I usually do the trading thing with my cats: put something they like to lay on in the new place. My cat loved laying on a rug, i finally put it in her box. She understands now that her box is for her to lay in... but it still doesn´t make it her favourite place to stay (she still prefers my bed, anytime).
Can you pet your cat a lot? What about putting his things in the box, putting him in and petting him like crazy? (my cats after a lot of petting finally melt and stay wherever i put them)
Still, i´d like to add, cats can always tell old smells, even if you clean and spray. He might not like sitting in someone else´s litter box (while some cats love stealing litter boxes) and it seems like a good enough reason. Maybe another box?

We sprayed it down more because my nanna said to not really because I thought it would make a difference, Sailor Jerry gets off on making other animals angry. He loves to lay in Tequila's fav spots (including Tequila's bed)
I can pet him but I can not pet him when he is in a small, confined space. When I put him in the bathroom once, he freaked and i tried to pet him and he freaked more. I think he thought I was going to hurt him- which i never have nor would I ever. It took him a few days to come back after that incident and I don't want to do that again, especially in these temps.

I tried putting 'his' towels in (aka the towels he has decided are his bed) and he still didn't get the picture

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For whatever reason, he doesn't feel comfortable or safe in an enclosed area. So put the hand warmers/heating pad under a towel or blanket on the chair he likes to sleep on.

Thanks, I may have to resort to that. It's been really windy this season and I was kind of hoping to shield him some but if he doesnt want it I cant force him

1 - 5 of 5 Posts