Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who had been watching a thread that I posted a while back, ForJazz offered to bring me a cat from Madison, WI that she recommended as a perfect cat. We'll I took her up on her offer and she brought him last night.

He is quite the affectionate thing. I can't really get a picture of him yet because when I come into his room to visit him, he is all over me and I can't get far enough away to take a picture. I feel so bad for the poor little thing because I work full time and he is cooped up in a small room all day long with no company. I have him in a small room in the basement and I have the basement shut off from Barnaby right now, because I don't know how he is going to react if he goes up to the door and hears the meows of another cat.

I am currently exchanging rooms between the 2 cats. Barnaby is downstairs checking out the new kitty's room and vice versa. I feel so bad for Barnaby I almost cried. He is walking around timidly with big tail and sniffing everything. He seems so scared and has the saddest look on his face, and the last thing I want to do is alarm him.

I tell you, what you would think would be stressful for the cats is very stressful for me. Between feeling sorry for the new kitty and worrying about Barnaby's feelings and worrying if it doesn't work out, my stomach has been bothering me alot and I didn't sleep very good last night.

I know I'm probably worrying too much but I am so concerned for the welfare of both of these cats. I love Barnaby and don't ever want him to feel betrayed.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm so nervous right now. :(

Here's a picture:

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
You are such a wonderful daddy and so far you are doing great. Don't forget to use the little drop of vanilla...it really works out differences by bringing familiar smells around both kitties.
Barnaby will probably attempt to assume the role of leader since he was there before but in time I am sure they will love each other. All they need is constant and equal love and play time and you are the perfect person to offer them those things. As long as the kitties have litter boxes, fresh water and food all the time + toys they will be all right until you will make some time in order to socialize individually and then in time bring them together (after having gradually introduced them)
SO how old is the new kitty, what color is his fur...that is really exciting news - I remember from a long time ago you weren't sure you if you were ever going to take this step. I am happy you did - Barnaby has a little brother :D
Well, congratulations and can't wait to hear more and see pictures + see what his name is!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh Richo! I am so glad to hear you adopted the kitty from ForJazz! What a happy ending for everyone.

It is going to take some time, probably two weeks for them to be used to each other. In no time you will come home and Barnaby and your newcomer will be cuddled up sleeping together, then you will wonder what the fuss was all about.

I would suggest doing just what you are doing for now. In a couple days let them meet each other. Just take it slow. Dont worry if they dont get along well at first, they need time. They are going to hiss and growl a little at first.

Also try the vannilla trick. However It still took my cats some time to get used to Simon. They are all old freinds now though. (two weeks later) So it will work out. And Barnaby will thank you for bringing him a new freind!

Is his name still Calypso?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Oh good!!! I have been wondering what was going on with that whole situation (and how long to wait until I drove from Vermont to Wisconsin to get little Calypso for myself :wink: ) He sounds wonderful!

In any case, I couldn't be happier for you and Barnaby! It sounds like you are doing a great job with a slow introduction - I can only imagine how difficult it is knowing he's there and having to work and know he's shut away alone so much. But rest assured that what you are doing is for everyone's own good (Barnaby's, in particular) as the stress now will pay off ten-fold when they meet and love each other and start causing all kinds of trouble for you.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is a young tuxedo cat. If I had my guess I would say less than a year old. The shelter named him Calypso but I'm not sure if I want to keep that name. It sometimes takes a while to see the cat's true personality and to come up with a fitting name.

Like Julie (ForJazz) said, this cat got along with the other cats at the shelter and he seems to have no concerns about any scents in the house. I let him loose in Barnaby's room and he barely checked it out. He just sat by the door meowing for attention. But I think he used Barnaby's litter box. In his basement room I gave him a few things Barnaby has been on and brushed him with Barnaby's brush and he really hasn't paid any attention to the scent. He just wants constant attention and purrs and kneads his paws when you give it to him. I can see why he was such a popular cat at the shelter. He's so friendly and not the least bit afraid of anyone. This is why I feel so bad confining him to a room. He comes across as so attention starved and I don't want to keep making trips to the basement and coming back smelling like a strange cat because I don't want to arouse Barnaby's suspicions any more than they already are.

I have a radio playing outside his door. I don't know if that makes any difference. I almost thought about putting my extra TV in there just to give him something to look at when he's not sleeping.

How long do you think I should wait before I allow Barnaby in the basement where he can come right up to Calypso's door?

Should the vanilla be used right now before they've even met?

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I would start the vanilla as soon as they can smell each other under a door. Also exchange their pillows or whatever bedding they use.

Calypso is the tuxedo cat I have been hoping for! Forjazz said she'd bring him, but it's a long way from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania, so I knew that was an impossibility. I am now terribly envious, but still very glad you got him. Maybe I could be Aunt Jeanie. Of course, ForJazz has first dibs!

I'm so happy for both you and Calypso! Thank goodness he's out of the shelter. :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was only a matter of time before he got a home though. Julie said that there was a second name on him if she hadn't taken him and she also said that the shelter is quite particular about who adopts their cats, which is a good thing to hear. :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Richo -- I really wish you the best of luck. I hope he turns out to be the kind of cat you want and love, but please let me know how things go for you. It really shows how kind you are that you are so concerned, and I understand how you feel. Barnaby seems like such a perfect cat, I hope and pray that he'll be fine about the new kitty when the time comes. By the way, that couple that wanted Calypso just adopted a little shy girl named Fire. (terrible name for her -- I hope they change it...lol). She was the complete opposite of Calypso, I wonder if they just wanted a small cat or if they really knew what he was like.

Do you guys think that Calypso will be more laid-back when he is allowed to roam, and if Barnaby accepts him? And do you guys really think Barnaby will be just fine?

Jeannie -- I would have driven or organized a driving chain in order to get him to a good home, I truly love this cat.

If I were you I'd change the name as well -- I don't know if the person who named him thought he was a girl, didn't know the story, or just thought it was fitting anyway. Anyway -- fun story of the day for those who don't already know: Calypso was a woman, or a nymph, in The Odyssey, by Homer. Odysseus became shipwrecked on the island she ruled, and Calypso fell in love with him and kept him prisoner for 10 years.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really know what to expect. He's just been closed in one room after another and I can't tell if it's attention he wants or the ability to roam. One would guess both.

Once he and Barnaby meet at the door and it seems that there is no friction, then I'll let him roam free in the basement which is a much more wide open space than that little room. I would really like to do that now but I get the feeling he'd be at the top of the stairs calling out for attention.

BTW Calypso was also the name of Jacque Cousteau's boat, which John Denver wrote a song about.

I was going to try to get a picture but my digital camera batteries are dead. They should be charged by the morning and then I'll try.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Richo said:
BTW Calypso was also the name of Jacque Cousteau's boat, which John Denver wrote a song about.
Wow -- that I never knew, and I *thought* I was a John Denver fan! What a disgrace I am. I don't know if I can say this enough, but good luck, and try to relax. You are definitely doing all you can, and doing a wonderful job. It will all work out somehow, even if it's not the way that was expected.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://home.wanadoo.nl/mtenbrug/denver/ ... nver_6.htm

I can't help but feel sad that the poor little guy is so lonely down there and there is only so much attention I can offer him right now. I just hope he's sleeping alot to pass the time. What were his conditions like at the shelter? It sounds as if he had his own space as opposed to a little cage like most shelters, and also the communal room that you spoke of. Plus many people passing by throughout the day.

I think I'll get up and visit him right now. :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
He was in a room with about 10 cats, they all have their own cage with a bed, toys, litter pan, food, and water. The cages are all pretty big and they are all along two walls. It was a smallish room -- but big enough for them, several cat trees, lots of blankets and beds, lots of levels to play and hide in, and one person for most of the day. They could pretty much roam throughout the room during store hours -- but only people with applications in are allowed to go in the room. Otherwise they can only look. So some days they don't get any visitors except the volunteer who goes around cleaning teh cages and food dishes and litter pans and all that.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Awww can't wait to see pictures - an elegant kitty in a suit (tux :wink: )- hehe
Oh - about the name - I vaguely remembered that JJ Cousteau's ship's name was Calypso - though I used to watch his shows when I was little. When I first saw what your kitty's name was it took me straight back to Homer's Odyssey. Calypso was a nymph that kept Ulysses captive on her island for several years. She finally let him go after a superior Greek God intervened ; well it still took Ulysses a long time to be able and return to his faithful and beloved Penelope - his wife
So maybe a different name would be better - since he is a boy :wink:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just posted a picture at top of the thread. He's hard to get pictures of because right now he doesn't stand still and if I step back to take a picture he follows me. :) He just so badly craves attention right now. I feel so bad leaving the room after visiting him. :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
What a funny (a beautiful) boy he is! I love his big eyes, his white feet, and his sweet muzzle markings. Such a cutie!!

I bet he will be soooo happy to meet Barnaby - and Barnaby will be slightly less than thrilled to meet him (just a guess) initially. How IS Barnaby doing???

Have you done the vanilla scent thing yet? It might be good to introduce a shared scent at this point.

It sounds like it's still going well. And he has a window to look out of!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Congratulations!!! We've always been rather cavalier about our cat introductions here...we only keep them separated a very brief time and then...have at you!!

Best wishes. As long as you're prepared for a little anger from Barnaby at first, I think it will be fine. Almost all cats at least adjust to other cats, even if they don't become best friends. Barnaby may really enjoy having someone else to play with eventually. I think boys are actually more likely to bond than females, so you may be in for a nice surprise. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Richo - sounds like you are on a guilt trip and you shouldn't be! You are helping both cats in the long run!! They will have each other to play with soon and I am sure they will get along - just keep it in mind :!:
AND - I am 100% sure I will feel exactly like you when I finally convince my hubby to get another cat :oops:

·
Registered
147 Posts
That is an adorable kitty!! I was soooo nervous and very stressed out when I first brought Phoebe home. I hated leaving Phoebe alone in my bedroom, and I hated how I had to shut my other two out at night when I slept. But every day got better and things calmed down. The 3 of them get along very well now.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts