Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just registered myself now. I have three cats, well am about to have three cats. I have Ally (about 13-14 years old-we adopted him from the street so we are not sure when her exact b'day is) and Spock (11 years old). We have been living together about 11 years now. About a few weeks ago, one brown striped cat started showing up in our yard. He is very sweet and friendly. I posted email to find an owner in our community email system. Kids started feeding him and we gave shelter outside until his owner shows up but well.. no one claimed as an owner and we decided to adopt him. I took hime to vet to make sure he is okay. Except for his stool sample came back positive for roundworm which we treated with Profender, his tests results were good. Now I have been bad owner that I have not taken Ally and Spock for annual check-up for 10 years because they are indoor cats and staying healthy, I finally took them to the vet for check-up and shots to make sure they are okay before adopting another one. I am feeling depressed and sad to know our babies have some problems. That is why I registered here. I hope someone can share some experience and thoughts. Thank you and I hope to enjoy sharing some information.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am so sorry that your fur babies are having some struggles :( There is a wealth of information here and many encouraging people to help you along in any way possible. I can't wait to learn more about your fur babies and to hear about the exciting experiences you have had together.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome! I'm sorry to hear Ally and Spock are having health problems, and I hope you get some advice or encouragement to help you here.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Welcome to the forum - there are some really great cat owners here, hopefully they can help you out with some of your questions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much, everyone, for warm welcome to this forum. I already feel a little better inside. Ally has gingivitus (sp?) so she has to be on antibiotic to treat the inflamation and infection on her gum and then have her teeth cleaned with possible tooth or teeth extraction. Spock has hyperthyroid. I read many articles on the internet and am aware how dangerous if it is untreated. But, I want to take him to another vet to have second opinion and may be re-tested again before I put him on medication. I do not want our kitties to be on daily medication if possible. I am thinking about doing radioactive iodine shot but it sounds scary and it seems that he has to be on the medication before the shot anyway. So, I want to look into that before I give any med. to him. So far he seems to be healthy and I do not see any symptoms of hyperthyroid which I read over the internet, except for the observation from the vet, heart mumur and elevated thyroid. I think I should try one more vet to confirm Spock really has this and he deserves it! Another one I am about to adopt, Tora, keeps having diarhea. He had roundworm which I treated with Profender. He still has diarhea and a little bleeding as well although it has been one week after the Profender treatment. He has been eating our cat food and it could be the diet change? The vet want to give med to treat the diarhea.... again medicine. I want hime to be tested again for parasites but the vet recommends to give med first and then bring his stool sample again a week later. In this way, at least his stool will be firm and bleeding might stop. Otherwise, he is such a happy good kitty.... Lots of problems but I do want to do my best to treat my babies. Thank you so much for listening or reading to my post. I do appreciate your time! Have a good day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts