Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were screwed, now we don't have a car. I was on the highway and going only like 4 miles over the speed limit, when the truck in front of me slammed on their brakes, except I didnt realise it at first because they only had one brake light. When I finally realised it I turned to hold Kiko back (Pats parents' black lab, he's 14 years old) then turned and realised that this guy was stopping FAST (all this happened within like 2 seconds) so I slammed the brakes as hard as I could but it was too late. The only thing I could think right before I hit them was "Oh crap i'm gonna ruin Patricks truck" Then I hit and the airbags went off and the hood got pushed up like 6 inches and the car stopped and turned off. Amazingly I wasn't whiplashed, the seat belt and airbags kept me from even moving an inch. I have a cut on my knee and burns on my arm from the airbags but other than that they said i'm fine. Oh and a mild case of shock.

Patricks brother was driving by like 60 seconds later, saw the accident and pulled over. I called Patrick as soon as I could talk again and he came out. Pats brother was a lifesaver. He was there and he hugged me and gave me water and made everything ok, it took Patrick an hour to get to me, if Tony hadn't been there I would have been a raving mess. Tony took Kiko to the emergency vet down the road (Kiko is fine, not even a scratch on him) and when all was said and done the police officer gave me a $85 ticket (cause Pat had the out of date insurance card in the car, we can get the fine waived if we go show them the right one).

If I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I would have been toast, literally I KNOW I would have gone through the windshield. The truck I hit was one of those construction trucks, luckily they didnt have anyone in the back of the bed when I hit them like some construction trucks do. They all had their seatbelts on and noone was hurt. In fact their truck was unscratched. Patricks.....gone, totalled. The entire front end is indented into a V. Patrick is not happy about everything, neither am I, we just bought a house that costs a majority of our income each month, we barely had enough to do needed repairs as it is, and now we have no car. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Oh Payge, I am so glad it wasn't any worse. (((((Big Hug))))

Things like that happen so fast. About a year ago I rear-ended the SUV in front of me with the truck (have since traded it in). I still can't tell you what the heck occured that I didn't stop. I was in a little bit of a hurry home to get ready to go somewhere after work. That is all it takes. Fortunately it was in town at very low speeds, just a little cosmetic damage.
Accidents happen, that's why they call them accidents.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
OMG! That is terrible. I'm glad you are ok. Good thing you were wearing your seat belt. I know, things definatley happen quick. There was one time we were going to Home Depot on nine mile & kelly (Michigan) & all of the sudden a car slammed into the side of us. I mean it was so quick we didn't even see it coming. Everyone was ok of course. Also, did the truck driver get a ticket for only one brake light? I mean none of this would probably not have happend if the truck had working backup lights. Well, more importantly, you're ok. I'm glad Kiko (hope I spelled it right :oops:) was ok to. I'm also sorry about the truck.
Payge said:
Amazingly I wasn't whiplashed, the seat belt and airbags kept me from even moving an inch.
Seatbelts & airbags sometimes are lifesavers. Sometimes airbags may do more damage though. Not sure. But you got lucky. :wink: It could have been worse.

So, what are you going to do now, been that you have no car? :(

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess we are going to wait and see what the insurance company will do for us. We have State Farm, so I hope they are good and give us enough to buy a new car.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I must say state farm is good, we have it also, my husband rear ended a lady nothing major happen they where waiting for a light and my husband was not paying attention and thought it was green, but state farm took care of the damage to her car and my husbands truck (which didnt have much damage)

The most important thing is that you are ok, cars can be replaced human life can not...

I hope all turns out well and you can get another car soon..

(((HUGS)))

·
Registered
418 Posts
They do happen fast. Like 7 months ago my sister was taking me to school, and the night before I bet she was drinking, so she was probably hungover, so she probably wasnt that awake? So anyways, this intersection is horrible, and you cant see at all if somebody is coming if your going to turn because of the turning lane infront of you. So, she turned anyways and this car slammed into my side. I had to of blacked out because I dont remember anything except seeing it coming and feeling getting pushed, and then I opened my eyes and we were turned all the way around. So, it hit us, we spun around, and then the back of our car hit a truck. That was very scary, and I wasnt wearing my seatbelt. I was VERY lucky. I stayed in the seat, which I was suprised I didnt fly into the back, or even through the windshield. I just had scratches on my knees, and I hit my head on the window pretty hard and I had a headache for a couple days. Sorry you dont have a car. Hopefully everything will turn out ok! I'm glad you and Kiko are ok and nobody else got hurt :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
OMG Payge, I am SO glad you are okay. 8O *HUGE HUGS*

I'm so sorry about the truck, I know how stressed out and upset the 2 of you must be. *MORE HUGS*

·
Registered
78 Posts
4cats&counting said:
The most important thing is that you are ok, cars can be replaced human life can not...

I hope all turns out well and you can get another car soon..

(((HUGS)))
Well said - I fully concur: you and Kiko are alive and well. Thank goodness for seatbelts and airbags - they saved your life and protected you from impact.

I hope the insurance portion is addressed quickly and that you're not left without a vehicle.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Payge,

I am so sorry this happened, but so glad you are ok. We have State Farm and they are great!!! you shouldn't have trouble getting the $$ from them!!

Good luck

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We just talked to the insurance people. Best case scenario is its gonna cost us $500. Worst case is they have to total the car, we pay $500 + the amount leftover on our loan (were upside down on our car payments) which will probably be a couple thousand dollars. Worst case is the most likely scenario. At that point we will have to clean and paint our house and sell it, we won't be able to afford it. Good news there is its worth more than we paid for it now, bad news is after fees we will only come out even and wont have a place to live.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Payge
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you're okay, but I totally understand the way a car accident can turn your life upside down.

About 1 1/2 years ago, I had a car totalled by a hit and run driver. I was at a light, when the light turned we could only move up about 100ft before we had to stop again (construction), he wasn't paying attention and slammed into the back of me. Then took off (I was shocked, people ACTUALLY do that!!!!), anyways, that totalled my fully paid for car. My insurance company gave me blue book value and then I only had 2 days left on the paid for rental to get a new car. I found a nice little car that I could afford. SIX months later, on a rainy morning I got mixed up in a 12 car pile-up. I was hit 4 or 5 times, sent across the oncoming traffic, almost got creamed by a semi, and ended up going through a brick retaining wall. Totalled car number 2, in SIX months :evil: Luckily, again not my fault, so one driver's insurance ended up paying for all 12 cars, plus the wall. He obviously didn't have enough liability to cover all of the damage, so my insurance company had to pay for some of my car using the underinsured motorist, but that still left the difference between the blue book value and the loan amount of about $1500. LUCKILY, when I bought this car, I also got GAP insurance. Since I wasn't planning on getting the car, I hadn't saved any money so I didn't even have a down payment. The GAP insurance costs about $300 and is meant to cover the difference between what the insurance pays and what is still owed on the car. So, since his insurance paid for my car, I didn't have anything out of pocket to pay for that accident, I still had to go get a loan for ANOTHER new car though.
It's obviously too late this time, but something to think about in the future.

Again, I'm really glad you're okay. Also, expect to be a little gun-shy about driving for awhile. It took me close to a year to be okay driving again, I still don't like to be in heavy traffic and I'm always a little nervous if a car is closer than 20ft behind me, but I'm getting a little better.

Jennifer

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah we heard about gap insurance today, Pat was asked by his insurance company if he had it, he said no he had never heard of it (I'd never heard of it either til today). Were almost 100% sure they are gonna total the car, I doubt it would be safe to drive after its fixed, the structure being screwy now and all. Were praying his parents can once again be our guardian angels and help us out. If they do we will most likely get one of those hybrid cars to save on gas, filling up the truck has gone up to $60 lately, oi. His truck is a 2002 dodge dakota with with v8 and largest engine they offer. Talk about a gas guzzler.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
A year ago my uncle and his family was hit by a driver who reeked of alcohol. He tried to make the guy stop and give him insurance information, but the guy beat the crap out of him and ran. The cop could do nothing.

About the same time, my best friend was hit by another drunken driver. He survived (he had to leave the university for a year, but thankfully he will be fine), but his best friend died.

Motor accidents are horrible....not just the physical damage, but the emotional turmoil. I hope you will be allright.....I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Actually, have you heard about a biodiesel convertion truck? Apparently you can convert a diesel truck to a biodiesel truck for $2000. Biodiesel trucks run on filtered used restaurant oil.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that! But it's great that both of you are okay...you're very lucky. Seat belts are life savers, I never drive without mine. Good luck with your situation...hopefully things work out alright.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about it. I totaled my Trans Am 1 1/2 years ago. I hit a freeway wall going at least 60 mph :( I cames out basically OK. Unfortunately my car didn't :( I loved that car! It happened at a bad financial time for me too. I managed to come out of it OK. I had taken my loan out for $2,000 more than I paid for the car. So I was pretty nervous. They ended up valuing my car higher than I purchased it at 1 1/2 years before the accident 8O So they paid of my loan and I walked away with $900 after paying my deductible. Which I used to buy a 1991 dodge spirit. That car lasted almost a year and made the trip from Michigan to Florida. So I guess it was money well spent :lol:

I get sad everythime I think about my car

I hope everything works out for you guys. You may be suprised and the insurance company may fix it. Keep us updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts