Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to poop today in the living room... Grateful it's not peer and that my mother wasn't home yet but... I'm still so frustrateD!!!!

Been using the magical cure all feliway for, well since nov 5th. So why did this happen???

Went and checked he litterbox (which I only cleaned 10 hours ago) and there was poops in there too. Problem is don't know who's.

No littrbox location change, no people gone away.... Everything is the exact same!

One night Bout 2 weeks ago I woke up a to a dangler, and that they can't help... But this??

I've literally been setting a quiet alarm for a time just before I know my mom would wake up and been checking for accidents. There hadnt been any for that long I was starting to feel like maaaaybe I don't need to do that anymore....... There goes that wish!!!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Are you sure everthing is exactly the same? This is Christmastime, and even a tree in the house whether real or artificial is something different. People tend to be what shall I say....excited? busier? frenzied? so maybe your cat is picking up on changes like that?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes we have our tree up, but if anything that's a giant toy, or cool thing to lay behind. It's fake too.

My moms stressed to the max, but if that ws why, wouldn't he do that while she's home?

I was alright until waking to that...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Don't you have 2 cats? Do you have more than one litter box?

Sorry if you've answered that question before but TBH I haven't been following your posts super closely. *shrugs* Besides, better safe than sorry.

Another thing I'll mention is that the occasional miss is fairly normal and not a big deal in our house. Torri is fluffy and sometimes things get stuck and don't come off until later...she's not doing anything wrong and there's not much I can do about it short of shaving her (which isn't going to happen unless it's medically necessary). Even then, sometimes one of the other cats will have the same issue.

I wouldn't jump to the assumption that it's on purpose. A fact of having pets is that sometimes they make little messes. One incident like this wouldn't make me worried that a larger peeing issue will come back, or that there's something 'wrong'. Sometimes it just...happens.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, do i need to worry that the feliway is not effective at all??

Its still got plenty in it, and i felt it today it is warmer, so it is working. (but its not full to the top so it is still diffusing).

We do have 2 boxes, that ive been scooping once a day (been checking twice a day, but often the second time i check at night, nothing else has been done yet, they seem to do most of their business overnight/morning).

The only other thing i was wondering, i remember someone mentioning their cat was on miralax, maybe something like that would be a good idea? They do seem to strain, but some straining is normal...

i *hope* it wasnt on purpose... i really dont want another huge issue to start again....

The occasional poop i can deal with, its so much easier to just pick up, even my mom, if its just the occasional poop we can deal with that... just dont need a huge issue again. sooner or later it will be the last huge issue my mother will tolerate. thats why i kind of put my foot down and did the feliway even if it sounded rediculous, just because i want to keep them that badly. I will agree with her that after 9 years here it does seem crazy that theyre uncomfortable here, but i will do whatever i need to!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Just because they've been around for 9 years doesn't make them immune to stress. It could be a million things, or a mistake, but you may never know.

...I'm going to pass on commenting about people with kids who think giving up an animal for a minor/non dangerous behavior issue. Oh wait. Oops. :/ maybe she should consider what message that teaches her kids about what you do when things, and relationships, get tough.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Well yes we have our tree up, but if anything that's a giant toy, or cool thing to lay behind. It's fake too.

My moms stressed to the max, but if that ws why, wouldn't he do that while she's home?

I was alright until waking to that...
If your Mom is stressed to the max...
This could be what the cats are picking up on...
And no, they wouldn't necessarily do something while she's around...
Cats try to avoid what is causing them stress...
Once she's out of the picture, the cats start to unwind a little...and then, oops, an accident...
Cats really are a barometer of how we're feeling at any given moment...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...I'm going to pass on commenting about people with kids who think giving up an animal for a minor/non dangerous behavior issue. Oh wait. Oops. :/ maybe she should consider what message that teaches her kids about what you do when things, and relationships, get tough.
Oh no trust me i agree with you, 100%

Anything thats been ruined was just that .... things. Theyre far more important than things to me.

The only reason theyre honestly probably not already gone is because of me, and my extreme attachment. If I didnt care, they would be gone, and she would have her hairless, messless, clean and carefree house shes dreamed of. (not to mention, empty). They may only take up a square foot of space at a time but they make the house SO much less empty.

For her though, since we lost my dad, any other loss is kind of like "well, oh darn", quite insignificant because nothing will be a greater loss. but for me, its one thing on top of the other, so it was like my dad, then my dog, then my neighbours dog (may as well ahve been mine too), and then almost my neighbours other dog (they tried a last ditch effort after a car hit that ended up working)... i cant take anything else!!! different viewpoints for sure. so for her instead of others adding on top of her hurt, her hurt meter is already filled, at least speaking of animals, havent lost close people since (thankfully!). but my hurt meter cant be filled, it can always raising and raising, one thing on top of the other. She does miss the dog on occasion for a few minutes, but not enough to wish he was back for good. I would be perfectly happy if he was back. at times annoyed definately, as with anyone, but i would be happy if things were different.

anyway, ive gone way off on a tangent, but the quick version, is that I agree. so much more important than things.

edit: Actually, when we had the dogs, there were no poop accidents.... maybe he helped me clean the evidence by way of mouth... who knows!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I saw you mentioned Miralax in your post. Our Marble was at the vet for an intestinal blockage when we first took her in from the 'streets'. The vet
said to give Marble this daily as she has a smaller hip area or something. Anyway this product is a stool softener and it works for her and makes her stools softer, not runny, just more moist stools. She hasn't had a problem since and it has been almost two years now.

We then went to a Walgreens product called Smooth Lax (better price) which is a polyethylene glycol 3350 powder. Basically it is for humans but can be given to our cats which we do if we notice harder stools in the litter box.

This all leads me to wonder if this 'accident' you found was caused by not everything coming out during the litter box visit and she then deposited it wherever after giving up at the liter box. If that is so, it may have been a one time thing. (If needed this explanation might work for an overly stressed parent...who knows? It might be true.).

I would continue to do early morning checks and if someone wonders why you are up, you might say 'I thought I heard something or I was in the bathroom', I heard a meowing etc.... While I don't favor lying I think there is a situation here where you are trying to do the right thing and your mother is not thinking this thing thru all the way. Perhaps with time this will be a non issue.

i'm sorry for the losses you have had to face. Life is brutal at times and then the sky clears and the sun comes out again.....good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Are both of the litter boxes separated from each other by rooms or at least walls? The 2 boxes should be separate giving each cat a chance to sue them at the same time without seeing each other. Cat like privacy. I went through this for awhile then put a 5th box (I have 5 cats) on the screened in porch which is more convenient for Zipper than going to the other end of the house or upstairs. It solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm sorry for the losses you have had to face. Life is brutal at times and then the sky clears and the sun comes out again.....good luck.
Thanks... still waiting for the sun to fully come back out but... i guess with time you are able to remember happier memories, instead of what led to the losses.

As far as the miralax, is this something that we can just, do... or do i need to speak with a vet first? Id love to even offer half a proper dose to see if it makes any difference at all. Not so much Boo but simba does strain quite a bit when going... which is odd, they eat the same thing. Not any blood or any other unusual things going on... just straining.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We just sprinkle some on the food now. I believe the vet said to use about a quarter teaspoon a day/ So we sprinkle some on her food twice a day for marble to prevent hard stools which could be hard for her to handle. Watching our newcomer, Annie, I found her stool is somewhat hard so I sprinkle some on her food now, like salting an egg amount. Now, it is more moist it seems but one has to be careful messing with the bathroom routine of a cat. Too quick and you interupt? Geez, but then who likes to be disturbed on the throne?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, haven't been following your posts, but if the cat's been good since Nov. 5th (when you started using Feliway), and this is the first incident since then… I'd wait a bit more to be too concerned. If it becomes a pattern again, then it could be something to worry about. This one could just be an accident?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts