Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still having a hard time with the fact that I had Li'l Smokie's kittens aborted. I know that if she had continued her pregnancy, she may have died because she is still a kitten herself and she's a tiny little thing. I still can't believe that she was almost seven weeks pregnant and that she had six kittens in her when she was spayed.

When will I stop feeling bad about her babies?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm sorry. :( Maybe go visit the humane society/SPCA and look at the kittens in cages there...and think about the fact that there would be 6 less homes for those kittens if Lil' Smokie had kept hers...look at 6 of those kittens in the eyes and think about the fact that they now won't be PTS because you had the courage to get Lil' Smokie spayed.

Then go home and look at Lil' Smokie in the eye, and think about her having to be a young mother, possibly with medical complications, and the stress she would have to go through.

You did the right thing.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You did the right thing, Renée. You have saved Lil' Smokie a lot of pain, stress, and suffering through a pregnancy, birth, and raising of kittens that may have just drained the life right out of her frail, young body.

Believe me, this decision is so painful. You just have to keep telling yourself that you made the right choice (because you did) and with time the pain and guilty feelings will pass. I can totally relate to you, because when we spay a pregnant cat it is my job along with the other tech, to help remove the kittens from the uterus and make sure that they are humanely euthanized so that they do not suffer longer than they have to... every time I have to go through that I cry... and we hold each kitten and say a prayer and give them whatever love we can spare, so that they are sent to heaven with at least that little bit of love. I am sure that your veterinary team treated those kittens with the utmost respect, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did the same thing we always do at our clinic.

Bless your heart, Renée, you are so strong.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
When will I stop feeling bad about her babies?
You did the right thing.
First: You DID do the right thing by ensuring LilSmokie did not become another statistic of young-cat-loss due to baby-having-babies complications.
Next: You will probably always feel bad. I trapped a litter of kittens to tame/socialize/s/n/vacc and adopt out in late 2004. The next day I trapped their very pregnant mother and had her spay/aborted/vaccinated and returned her to our property Christmas Eve. The following spring I neutered/vaccinated the tomcat.

Those adult cats were PrettyGreenEyes and Dusty.

Dusty has passed on, but Pretty remains as one of our happy housecats. I hated having to do the spay/abort but I had no other choice because I had no place to keep Feral (please note the capital "F") Pretty so she could birth and then be assured of no contact w/ tomcats for 3-4mo until weaning and spay-date. Because she was an outdoor feral there would have been very, Very, VERY few times I could have caught her when she would be not pregnant and/or nursing a litter.

Finally: For yourself, LilSmokie is *tiny* and being a juvenile cat herself ... you know the dangers that would have presented themselves to her:
Small size.
Large litter.
Birth complications.
Possible large vet bill and loss of kitts and LilSmokie.

IF the birth occured w/out complications, she would then have:
A large litter sucking her down.
Draining her of nutrition she already possesses and consumes faster than she can provide.
No nutrition to sustain herself or grow, it would all go to milk.

This would leave her:
In a weakened condition..
Deprived of critical nutrition during an important phase of growth/development of her own body.
Possibly stunted and unable to attain full growth potential.

You did the right thing, it may always hurt, remember the reasons that helped you come to your decision because they were all *good* reasons, reasons that kept LilSmokie's welfare at the forefront and respectfully realistic of your financial ability in case the pregnancy required surgical emergency intervention.
h =^..^= :patback

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
... every time I have to go through that I cry... and we hold each kitten and say a prayer and give them whatever love we can spare, so that they are sent to heaven with at least that little bit of love.
I am sure that your veterinary team treated those kittens with the utmost respect, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did the same thing we always do at our clinic.
Ack! *I need a tissue* RachandNito, thank you for sharing that. I've always disliked making that decision because I knew it would affect those professionals performing the task. I am glad to know that they are handled with respect, but most importantly; love. Thank you, again.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I realize it's not much consolation but there really isn't anything else you could have done. Even had she HAD the kittens and they all survived (unlikely) it's kitten season. They'd be headed to the shelter to sit with hundreds of others in a little cage.

The way they were handled was MUCH more humane and caring than the alternative. You allowed her to live and have given her a home for the rest of her life. :) Good on you.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
All things considered I would have done the same thing. You did the right thing, but that doesn't make it any easier. :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
On a rational level, you know, we all know, it was the right decision. There was just no other option.
However, that doesn't take away the fact that you feel horrible about it, and thats ok. You can't fight these feelings, its perfectly normal to feel bad, that you keep thinking about these kittens. Don't expect yourself to feel ok about it so soon, emotions just don't work that way. It will get better, with time. <3

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You did the right. A kitten have kittens doesn't sem right. :/ It's almost like teen pregnancy.
It's actually more like an 8 or 9 year old having a baby, which is not that uncommon depending on circumstances. The reproductive system may be capable of having offspring after or near the first menses, but it doesn't mean the rest of the body has matured at the same rate. More often that not, the birth canal is not wide enough to deliver the babies and complications will most likely arise. For cats, in a home situation that's just a recipe for disaster for the kittens and the mother cat.

You did do the right thing. Just give yourself time. Time heals all wounds.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had to make the same decision a month ago (I trapped a feral cat, the thread is still around) It was hard, but I was ready to do it, all things considered. I spent a sleepless night crying 'cause next morning I had to take her to the vet to have an abortion...
So I agree with all of our fellow cat owners: On the rational level, we ALL know it is the right thing to do. No question about it. But feeling sad about it is the normal thing (unless you're a robot), so don't try to block those feelings. It is a sad thing. Homeless cats suffering, abandoned kittens, all very sad. So our tiny contribution to that reality, as tiny as it might be, it is an important contribution. You'll fell better soon. You have a sweet girl to take care of now :)

(in the end, the feral I trapped was not pregnant, she was nursing 4 2 week-old kittens, that's why her belly was so big. I had to take them all home and raise them. She is still a feral cat, but at least she can't have any more babies.)

big hugs!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts