Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into making my own cat food for my babies and noticed in the instructions it said that if you use a canned fish with bones that you could cut down on the calcium supplement added.

Now, I know that people tuna is bad for cats..but does anyone know about giving them salmon?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure of the answer to your question but I just wanted to say that your kitty avatar is so cute, it made me laugh :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I think it's the cutest picture I've been able to get of her...usually she looks like she wants to beat up the camera. :)

I'll keep doing research on the salmon..so far I'm not seeing anything saying it's bad for them..but I just want to be absolutely sure because alot of resources don't even mention tuna being bad for them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'll mark salmon on the no-no list then. :)

Hmm...now to figure out what kind of canned fish with bones they were talking about!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I remember Dr. Jean said that fish is bad.

Personally, I don't think it's that bad. I just read an article (in yesterday's newspapers) about how fish is bad & good for health and they said that people (I don't know about cats) should eat fish at least 4 times a week and pregnant women about 2 times a week. They said the fish is not as bad as they used to think.

Also, I was looking through a book about body cleansing - regarding toxins, etc. There was a list with fishes with lot of toxins and list with "good" fishes. I don't remember on which list salmon was. I could look in the book again when I have a chance. It was somehow based on the water they live in.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have never heard tuna was bad for them or any other fish for that matter. Why is the tuna bad? I give them the juice from the tuna can and sometimes a little tuna. Is the juice bad too?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
OK please dont laugh at me....this tuna thing....
if tuna is bad why is there so much of it in canned cat food varieties?
Is it a different type of tuna?
Should I not feed these varieties to my cat?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First I'd like to thank Boscosmom for PM'ing me the link to a great site!
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/fish.php

Here's a quote that may help understand why canned tuna is supposed to be "bad" for our kitties:

Canned Tuna is among the most popular food stuff to feed to companion cats, because cats are very fond of it. It is not uncommon for cats, that regularly receive tuna, to refuse all other foods. Cats displaying this addiction-like behaviour are often refered to by Veterinarians as "tuna junkies".
Feeding a mainstay of canned tuna is long known to cause diseases of dietary origin. One of the most prevailing diseases afflicting "tuna junkies" is Steatitis or Yellow Fat Disease - an inflammation of the fat tissue in the body due to a deficiency of vitamin E. A vitamin E deficiency is usually the result of feeding tuna, or any canned fish, packed in vegetable oil. These products are high in polyunsaturated fatty acids which oxidate vitamin E, besides being a poor source of vitamin E to begin with. Currently, a diet consisting of large amount of any type of fish is considered the most common cause of this syndrome, [1.]
Canned fish - tuna or other, packed in water or oil - is not a complete diet for cats. Although it is high in protein, it does not supply the cat with sufficient amounts of certain amino acids, mainly taurine, to maintain health. The Calcium to Phosphorus ratio in canned tuna is 1:14.8 [2.] - providing the cat with too little Calcium to balance Phosphorus, resulting in bone disease caused by a loss of Calcium in the bone due to a deficiency of this mineral in the diet. [3.] The only canned fish providing sufficient Calcium is salmon with bones.
Also, many essential vitamins are not provided in sufficient amounts through a diet of canned fish, such as vitamin A and most B vitamins, like Thiamin, Riboflavin. Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, and Vitamin B-12 [4.] Last but not least, canned fish is high in sodium, possibly providing the cat with too much of this mineral.
Sounds like the sodium content is probably the only thing that couldn't be worked around by adding more nutrients to it. That could be why canned cat food with tuna is ok..because they don't prepare it the same way as for human consumption, so it has less sodium.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I finally found one post by Dr. Jean regarding fish. Here is what she said:

........Please do not feed Joey tuna! It's not good for cats, for many reasons. The worst one is that, as a top-of-the-food-chain predator, tuna is full of heavy metals, wastes, and other toxins that we humans have so thoughtfully been dumping into the oceans for 100 years. You can give a little bit of tuna or tuna juice as an *occasional* treat, but not more than that.......

I do respect Dr. Jean but I can't say that I agree on this one. On the other hand, I still follow her advice and feed our cats with fish only once in a while; and try to avoid food which contains fish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can offer fish (salmon, sardines, hering...) about once per week. If you feed more often it may be harmful because fish contains antithiaminase, too much fish may cause thiamin-deficiency what means Vitamin B1-deficiency. That is if you offer raw fish more than one time a week.
To protect from parasites containing the fish, you can freeze it, so they will be destroyed.

I hope my bad english is a little understandable. :?
Here's a link, that may answer some questions better than I do: http://www.serve.com/BatonRouge/nutriti ... t_food.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm going to go ahead and skip over the salmon when I start making their own food. Even if it is safe for them in moderation, I want to be absolutely sure, so I'll wait until I have time to do tons of research on it. Nothing's too good for my babies. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts