Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share a little info. Having now five cats I was looking for bigger litter boxes. I didn't like the universal size especially being I have a cat that likes to dance in them and fling litter to her little hearts content. I looked at pet stores and the closest I came to the size I was looking for was $30. and came with a cover that my cats despise. I had a hard time justifying paying $120. for 4 boxes. One day at Wal-mart I came across for $3.00 the most ideal box. They are made by Rubbermaid and are 31qt. size. They can be found in the container dept. they come with lids but perhaps maybe can be used as an ideal serving tray :lol: Just wanted to share this find these boxes have worked fantastically and I saved $108.00~ How perfect is that!! :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
That's exactly what I use; I think mine is 33 gallons. The Rubbermaid plastic does not hold odors, and the high sides keep most (but not all) of the litter *in* the box. They're terrific. And cheap! :)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. Jean, that litter box must be huge! I thought maybe I was wrong when I wrote 31 qts. but I checked and thats what it was. It's about 25"x16". I'm just curious do you use that one big box for all your kittys and how long is it, maybe that might be a great option too! Always looking to make things easier if possible :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
there's 6 sets of paws wandering my house now, i think its about time i got one of those boxes!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marijun, I guarantee you will love this box, it is better made for cats than orginally designed for cat litterboxes! Six sets of paws, it will work perfect!!! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mismodliz, that is it Rubbermaid! It is 31 qt. It does come with a cover, it is called a Latchable Rubbermaid container! If I could figure this out I would send you a picture but I am still new to all this picture inserting on the forum. I'll see if I can. But I definitely know Walmart carries them! Hope you can find them, again, they are IDEAL! :D Susie

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Ok....for any of you who use this 31 quart box???

Does your cat have any trouble getting in and out of it?
The side walls seem so high!
My boxes are as wide and long but not as high on the sides...
there are occasions where Bosco pees over the edges.

But when I tried to give him a covered box....he opposed to it by spraying!
Plus he is very overweight....so how is he gonna jump up into it?

I would love to try the the 31 quart to solve him aiming problems....
but would hate for him to oppose by spraying again. :(

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I don't have this, but thought I'd put my two cents in anyway. :)

You could put a block or smaller tub, upside down inside and out of the big litterbox to act as a step. Or get out your exacto (sp?) knife and cut an opening in one end. Of course if you cut the plastic, you'd probably want to cover the rough edges with some duck tape or something to keep him from cutting himself on the rough plastic. Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I like the idea to use a block....we have those laying around outside.
Has anyone had the experience of their cat spraying due to this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just measured and the sides, and they are 6 1/2 inches which actually is the same size of my previous litterboxes. My kittys adapted to it without incident, I am thankful. Perhaps Boscosmum you could keep Boscos old box available at first and once you see he is using the new one, remove the old one. I hope this works and if all else you will only be out $3.00 and have a latchable container (sorta used but :roll: ) The extra length and width (25"x16") sure make it great for bigger cats, one of my cats is BIG and it gives ALOT of room, plus the rubbermaid cleans up fantastic! Hope it works! :) Susie

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Hmmmm? Thanks for your reply!!!

The side walls must look so tall in the photograph!
6 1/2 inches is not bad! See I use underbed storage boxes.
They are huge! I was just wondering about trying one with higher side walls. But it sounds as if they are the same!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought the sides looked huge on the photo too and then I looked and that is a larger Rubbermaid container, kinda of the same order but not the specific one at least it gave a good idea of what I was refering too! I would love to post a pic of it but I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to do the picture thing :oops: Susie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks alot Dawn "Boscosmum"! I have this HP thingy that kinda sounds like the photobucket. It says to share photos to the web, let me see if that allows me to do what I want to do, because I already have pics stored there. If I kinda to be dumb with that I am going to do the photobucket at least when I can't figure it out you should know what I'm not figurin out. Wow! Does that make sense?! :roll: I almost got myself confused on that one :D How thankful I am for all teh assistance give here even ForJazz is going to help me with the signature pics, all I need to do is my part figure , figurin out the pic thing! I think I might need to shut down, it's thundering here! I'll let you know if I can't or can do! Thank you so much! Susie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts