Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i am getting soo sick of going out buying cheeap ones, and then not being satisfied!!! :x My own fault i no, for buying cheapies!

What i need is something for the obvious.... CAT HAIR!
With four cats now, and me being a bit obsessed with vacuuming, i need something that will really pick up cat hair, on carpets and bare floor. My main problem is cat litter on my cheap carpets.. When i vacuum it just seems to move it around...

I like the stick vacs, because they seem to pick up more, and its quicker...

Someone told me fantom vacuums were good, but i am still undecided, that's why i am asking on here!

Any ideas, or just let me know what you use!!!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
A LOT of my friends with multiple cats (breeders, friends with lots of cats, etc. etc.) have a Dyson Animal and all love it and are amazed at just how much it sucks up.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Go for a Dyson. Even if you don't go for the animal vac, all of their vacuums are really, really high quality.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jesus!!!.. $500 bucks!!! LOL the one i use now was $50 at most!!! HA HA!!!

:lol:

Hmm.. Hmmm.. I am stumped...

Anything cheaper that works good, or even ok!!?

·
Registered
513 Posts
The Dyson Animal is absolutely THE BEST vacuum I have ever owned. I have previously had an Electrolux, Hoover, Kirby etc.
I love the versatility and it is amazing. I have terrible allergies and this is by far the best. I can't get over how often I have to empty the receptacle!
It is especially great at picking up all that scattered kitty litter in the bathroom everyday.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Funny this topic should come up. Last night I bought a $300.00 canister (canister just happens to be my preference) from Sears. This afternoon I was telling a co-worker about my 23 lb canister and it just so happens she bought a Oreck last week, so I hot foots it over to the Oreck dealership and bought one this afternoon. I just finished vacuuming my bedroom rug, living room dining room and a few chairs. The Oreck does have great suction does a pretty good job of cleaning up pet hair, but the thing is LOUD. It feels like a doll toy, thus the eight lbs. It also came with a canister with a number of attachments that is very light and easy to carry around. Oreck also gives you a bonus with yur purchase, you can choose 1 of any five they offer. They have a 30 day trial period. I guess the only thing I can say bad about it is that it is loud. The Kenmore is going back, it's just too heavy for me to truck up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
My Papa made the obsevation on the cheaper models that some seem to have the same motor yet don't have the wide path,

point being with the narrow path the motor will have more vacuum power.

So, next one I get will be checked for motor size and path width.

There also maybe some design considerations. Good Luck, figured this maybe an option as you save for that Dyson.

I hate to mention it, but I just thought, hey check ebay. There's so many scams that go on that maybe just checking your local classified ads would probally be a healthier risk, and if you could get it at around $200, that could be palitable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Padunk said:
Go for a Dyson. Even if you don't go for the animal vac, all of their vacuums are really, really high quality.
i have a dyson and i LOVE it. it sucks up everything. if you have a costo card, you can get it there for a lot cheaper than say best buy. you should also think about getting an industrial vacuum. they are more powerful that vacuums made for home, and usually lasts longer. however, industrial vacuums usually don't have attachments.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
My mom just bought me a bissell for Christmas. My old cheapy broke right before I moved back to Michigan. Of course I had it for 12 years...so can't complain. I went shopping with her and told her I didn't want a REALLY expensive one.

Judging from the picture this is the one I have
http://www.bissell.com/Products/product ... nPowerTrak

It works great. I actually end up emptying the canister at least once while I am cleaning, so I am sure it is sucking up alot of fur, etc. Ecspecially since my condo is under 1,000 sq ft.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had an Oreck too but it didn't last long. the suction was good for the first few months and then it just went. I've had the Dyson for the past 8 months and I am like this Obsessive compulsive Clean freak and it gets my vote. As a side note if you have allergies, it is rated the best vacuum for removing allergens etc. and is endorsed by the British Allergy Foundation. My husband is from the UK and he had his for 8 years when he lived there. I beat mine.................4000 square feet of house and a husband that thinks he lives in a barn...........never wipes his feet.
We actually just bought 4 of them for the furniture store I manage. My sales help love them that THEY vac the store now instead of the cleaning crews! You can get them at BJ's too!

·
Banned
316 Posts
We've had our Oreck for 4 years and I just love it. I'm very happy with it. You can also take it back to the service shop all the time and depending on which one you bought, it's covered under warrenty.

We bought the XL 21 so that is 21 years of warrenty. They'll do a yearly check up and cleaning of the vacuum.

G

·
0 Posts
One Word - DYSON!!

I've had mine for 2 years and I love it!! I think it's well worth the money considering how well it performs.

I actually did a test on the performance of the dyson after I bought it. I had my sister vacuum her carpet (I don't have carpet, just hardwood) with her Kirby vacuum, supposedly industrial strength.

I went behind her with the Dyson right after she vacuumed and filled the canister up with dirt that the Kirby left behind.

·
Banned
120 Posts
murried2 said:
One Word - DYSON!!

I've had mine for 2 years and I love it!! I think it's well worth the money considering how well it performs.

I actually did a test on the performance of the dyson after I bought it. I had my sister vacuum her carpet (I don't have carpet, just hardwood) with her Kirby vacuum, supposedly industrial strength.

I went behind her with the Dyson right after she vacuumed and filled the canister up with dirt that the Kirby left behind.
So why did you get the vacuum then??

G

·
0 Posts
With 10 indoor furry pets I couldn't survive without a vacuum even without carpet. I hate to sweep a floor, it seems like I'm only moving the hair around. And the old vac I had didn't have any attachments at all so I couldn't really clean the furniture.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Vacuums are a MUST for me, carpet or hardwood! They're lifesavers - I couldn't get all the fur and dust any other way. Sweeping would only float everything around, which drove me nuts.

I have several handheld cordless (dustbusters), handheld corded (dirt devil platinum), and 2 full sized Hoovers. I wouldn't recommend the Hoovers, though. I got the top of the line - they're still cheaply made, and aren't as strong as I expected. I think they were about $400 when I got them. I smell burning (belts?) when I turn the self-propel on. Don't have any recommendations for around $50.

I've looked at the Dyson, still not sure if I want to get it, but getting more convinced with the good reviews in this thread. It seems pretty good, strong motor, etc. I may end up just getting the Miele, which my friends love.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts