Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted this but it never showed up so sorry....

We just got a new kitten (KitKat) shes about six weeks old...the lady we got her from says shes potty trained and etc...well shes not...we found where shes been going and cleaned it up and i put a peice of "poo" in the litter box to give her an idea cause all she does now is play in it....so now shes in that bathroom with food and water and a toy or two and her litter box...will she get the idea if i leave her in there awhile? Or am i doing it wrong? All the other cats ive ever had new by instinct what to do...thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
A six week old kitten is like a human baby that is being potty trained...they often forget where to go if they get to playing and a box is not in their immediate vicinity. Confining her is a good idea, she should be confined whenever you're not there to watch her until she's at least 10-12 weeks old. She's too little to have full roam of the house. When you are there, make sure there's a litterbox in whatever room you're in.

I keep my litterboxes in a spare bedroom, I brought Holly home at 12 weeks and she didn't get the concept that she had to go upstairs, so I had a box downstairs for about a month.

BTW, a kitten should stay with it's mother until 10-12 weeks whenever possible. A 6 week old is too young to be away from momma, there are many social skills she still needs to learn that humans can't teach very well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the advice and yes i totally agree about the kittens needing to stay with their mother for a few weeks longer than this one did, however i got her from a lady who runs a small animal rescue in our area and said that they (there was a total of 9 together) were dropped off last sat at her rescue drop off> (which is a vets kennel they kindly let them use) So I guess they just really wanted to get rid of them as soon as they could. Theres a horrible amount of "thrown away" animals in our area...even with lots of our vets giving discounts and such on spaying...guess thats everywhere...anyway again thanks for your help and we will do what we can to help this little girl out to become and socialize and healthy as we can..ive only had older cats in the past and dont really know much about kittens. So any advice id be grateful for. She sure is a loving little kitten tho and my 4 year old and husband adore her already....

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts