Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Okay, I really didn't know where else I could ask this.

Long story short - I acquired a dog about two weeks ago, she belonged to this crazy drug addict woman and her boyfriend in my building, she had a litter of pups not too long ago, about three months ago. Well they had the father of the puppies aswell.

They end up getting arrested and going to jail, they won't be getting out for a good while. I went over to my boyfriend's friends house and he ended up with both of their dogs, plus he already had his puppy which he got from the people, so he asked if I would take the mother dog, because three dogs in a tiny apartment is far too many.

So I have Abby, and I feel so bad for her for having to go through everything she has had too.. I want to keep her, but what actions would I have to take to make her legally 'mine'? I could go get her tags and bring her to the vet, correct? I absolutely despise the people who owned her, they are absolutely not the type of people who should own animals.

Thanks in advance, sorry if that was a bit of a rant! ^^

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have no idea on Canadian laws. My opinion would be to talk to the police in view this was a criminal case and maybe the Canadian equivalent of the ASPCA. I would be a little wary of just going to the vet and gett ing the tags changed ( assuming thats what you meant) and the vet may not just do it. When these people get out and possibly back to your building you don't want to be accused of theft and to have a legal leg to stand on should you need to.
A vet visit might be a good idea though to ensure she has no health issues, esp as you have other animals too.
Its so nice of you to take her in.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Someone I know brought in a dog that was abandoned and chained outside in the snow. Later the owner wanted him back, but he was allowed to keep it. Of course, it wasn't challenged in court.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
I don't know the jurisdictional authorities either. Here we have City/County level Animal Control department that's part of the Health Dept. They are who one would visit in cases like this if they occurred here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts