Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do and I need your opinions. There is a cat here. She is a pure bred Persian tortie. Beautiful girl, very sweet and docile. I've just been asked to take her.

Now here are the cons to this. I already have 4 cats and am at my limit for number of cats given the amount of space I live in. I also am looking for a job so I don't have much money right now. I only wanted 3 cats, little Autumn was not expected to stay with us but she insisted on it. As far as I am aware this Persian has never been around other cats so I can not predict how she will react.

Now here are the pros. I personally know this cat and have lived with her for 2 weeks before (house sitting). The home she has lived in is one that has very much neglected her. She has lived with the parents of her owner for the majority of her life. The parents are vocal that they do not like animals. The cat has not been treated kindly. She has never been allowed on any furniture, is not brushed at all and just shaved twice a year (her mattes were heartbreaking), has no scratch post, and only owns one bed and one toy. These are the only things she is allowed to play with or sleep on. They don't like her and don't spend any time with her. She is a very sad little cat. I love this cat and hate the life she has lived. I know these people will just give her to the first place that says they will take her and not try to find a proper home. If I took her I know she will be in a good home or I could rehome her to a home that I know will care for him.

I don't know what the right thing to do is. I feel like no matter what decision I make it will be the wrong one. I don't have the room for her, yet I can't let her stay in this type of life. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Take her in and rehome her. She desperately needs a good home.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Based on your description, go ahead and take her. If you keep her isolated in your bathroom with a scratch pad, good food and a bit of your time she will likely be better off than the current situation and then you can take some time to find her a good home. There are always more options than we see at first, if she was on a shaved twice a year schedule then she was there for some time, perhaps you could sign up to find her a new home while she stays there for just a bit longer (not imediate save but less transition for her too...)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I agree with whats been said. Even if you can't keep another cat as your own, you could at least get her out the situation she is in, and then find her a new forever home that you find suitable. From the way you've written about her current situation, I think this would be best for her.

I know how it is, only wanting a set number of cats, and then finding another one who wishes to stay right where she is. Alice wasn't supposed to live permanently with us, but she wormed her way into all our hearts, cat and human alike, so we now have three. I can't imagine life without her now!

I wish you all the best in whatever decision you decide to make with this Persian girl. Let us know what happens. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm going to agree that you should take her in if you can manage it until you can find her a good home. You'll probably feel worse to imagine her continuing to live a life of misery and maybe ending up in a kill shelter or something. I guess the one good thing about looking for work can be that you have a bit more time on your hands for such projects...?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Has she had her shots and stuff? Is she spayed? I might be able to foster her for you if she gets along with Mow.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I'm not in a position to KEEP another cat.... my situation is too precarious (pending cross country trip if I don't find a job) but I'd be happy to let her stay here and take care of her until a good home is found (so long as she's got her shots and is spayed :p)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, I'm certainly not one to buck a trend.

Take her in. Lots of people want Persians. You're doing the right thing, and she will love being your fourth cat...I mean.....you'll be able to find her a home..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright I have talked to my husband and we will be taking her! I keep saying that it will be a foster, but he is insisting that we keep her. Silly man :p He is already in love with her! I just worry cause we are already pushing the limits with the number of cats we have vs square footage of the place. She is current on all medical and spayed so that helps that she won't need any of that stuff anytime soon. I will be receiving papers on those things.

Thank you so much MowMow for you incredibly generous offer! I have no clue how she is with other cats especially since she has never lived with any, so I would feel so bad if she ended up not liking MowMow and causing tension in your home :( You are a sweet person with a heart of gold!

I am VERY excited. I love this cat and have always adored the persian breed. For as long as I can remember I have been determined to have one.

Here is a picture of her:

There will be plenty more to come! We are going to have to think of a new name though. Her current one is the name of an ex girlfriend of my husbands so we won't be keeping that :cool

·
Registered
273 Posts
i may be a little late to this party but after seeing that picture i must say that you have to keep her!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh my goodness she is sooooo precious! Bless you for taking her in out of that situation, and whether or not you do decide to keep her at least you know for sure she is way better off now. What a cutie!

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
She is adorable! I don't understand people that could have such a sweet gorgeous cat in their home and not fall in love with her!
Congratulations I think she is landing in a very happy place.

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Look at that mushy, half-dark face - like Gigi's!!

Vertical space is more important that square footage. My little place is, at most, 750 square feet. At most. But my girls have lots of places at different levels to be on their own if they want.

You never know, you may meet someone who needs this little girl as much as she needs a place, too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts