Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long hair cat was pregnate and we were on vacation, anyway we came home and we found one kitten with it's head chewed off. Is this normal and could she have other kittens we haven't found yet? This was our cats first litter and I don't have much experience with cats. Also ourcat is being very aggressive towards us. She'll just walk up to us and bite and scratch with no reason. But then she'll be very affectionate. This is really baffling to me. If any one could give any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks- Teri

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Cats are often aggressive after having kittens...that is natural. Killing and eating their kittens is somewhat less natural, but if she is very young, she may just not know what to do. How old is she? Also, cats under a lot of stress may kill/eat their kittens. My cat, Gaylord, is a survivor of this. His mother was trapped in a building near the World Trade Center on September 11. She ate about half of his litter, because of the stress and lack of food and water. I think if kittens are deformed they may kill them, but I'm not sure. Cats normally have more than one kitten, unless they are very young and/or unhealthy, so you should probably look for other kittens. How long were you gone? Has your cat had veterinary care throughout her pregnancy? Also, can I ask why you bred her in the first place?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is about two years old. We found her after a tornado hit a near by community. We have had her for about six months. She more or less adopted us. She had addequate food and water while we were gone. A neighbor cared for them. As for stress I can't see where that would come from. She had the house all to her self. She has had all her shots and deworming but no she didn't have vetrinary care during her pregnancy. I know that sound irresponcible but as I stated earlier I am new to this cat bussiness. Don't get me wrong though, she is well taken care of and very much loved. I just want to help her if I can. Could she still be in labor, we have been home for four hours, so I really don't think so.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Have you looked all over your house for any remaining kittens?? You should really take her to a vet ASAP, if she is still in labor she may have a stuck kitten, and that will kill her, along with the rest of the kittens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we have searched high and lowand there are no more kittens.Also if there were other kittens, wouldn't she be caring for them instead of sitting on my lap? Good advice about the vet. It's late I hope I can find one open. Thanks again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
The best thing to do is to have your cat checked by the vet and then spayed! You don't need anymore surprises like this - especially if you go out on vacation and she gets pregnant and has to give birth without your supervision. She might have been hugry and started eating her offsprings - but you do say she had enough to eat and drink.
I hope she is all right ...you could check if her nipples are enlarged or if there are any signs of kittens having sucked on them. She might have some hiding in a corner of your house. Watch her behaviour and see if she disappears in a hiding place for a while - that might be the spot!
The frustration of having been left alone in a stressful situation - pregnancy and delivery - might be translated in aggression towards you. Be patient and continue to be her loving mommy - she will get better emotionally this way.
Have her spayed as soon as possible, however - altered pets calm down considerably and are healthier. No cat should go through numerous pregnancies (it is not only stressful for her but also a negative act considering how many cats&kittens are waiting to be adopted at the shelters). Plus - not mating at all during heir cycles is dangerous to their health.
Let us know how the trip to the vet goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts