Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had my cat for almost 10 years. 7 Of those years he was an "only child" and stayed inside. Once I had my daughter he got very jealous and started pooping and peeing in her clothes. Although I didnt not want to tolerate it I did, but one day he got outside and wouldnt come back in so I just let him stay outside. This past Easter was a year that he has been outside. He roams in my yard and goes over to my neighbors and thats it. He is declawed but seems to be doing okay. I miss him being inside and am wanting him to come back in. I have left him come in a few times just to see what he does, he snoops around and then heads back out. He is good with my daughter and he does not hiss at her when she plays with him, and she loves him. What do you think I should do? Bring him back in, or get another cat?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
HollysMommy said:
... What do you think I should do? Bring him back in, or get another cat?
First off, I just want to say that you should not abandon or "dispose" of your cat as though he is "defective". I sincerely hope I'm mistaken in reading that into your post.

If you want to get another kitty, don't get him or her as a "replacement", but as an addition to your family. This is not "just a cat", but a thinking, feeling, sentient being who deserves respect.
Please don't declaw another cat. Cats are cats, and they have claws. If you can't handle this, or are unwilling to, then you should get some other kind of pet. All it takes is a little time and patience to teach a kitty judicious use of his/her claws.

I think you should try bringing your original cat back in, making a gradual transition to indoor/outdoor kitty, then back to him being an indoor kitty if he is willing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
gunterkat said:
HollysMommy said:
... What do you think I should do? Bring him back in, or get another cat?
First off, I just want to say that you should not abandon or "dispose" of your cat as though he is "defective". I sincerely hope I'm mistaken in reading that into your post.

If you want to get another kitty, don't get him or her as a "replacement", but as an addition to your family. This is not "just a cat", but a thinking, feeling, sentient being who deserves respect.
Please don't declaw another cat. Cats are cats, and they have claws. If you can't handle this, or are unwilling to, then you should get some other kind of pet. All it takes is a little time and patience to teach a kitty judicious use of his/her claws.

I think you should try bringing your original cat back in, making a gradual transition to indoor/outdoor kitty, then back to him being an indoor kitty if he is willing.
I agree!!!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Cats who are declawed have marking problems and biting problems. I know from experience. In my profound ignorance I declawed my first cat and when he is stressed he does the same thing. I know you just didnt know when you declawed your cat like me. He now has pain problems in his declawed feet. Its very sad. I wish the vet had sat me down and explain that declawing is an amputation. But he didnt. He saw dollar signs instead. Jerk vet that he is.

My sister has an abandoned semi feral which I TNRed. She started letting it in to her house. Little by little he got more comfortable with it. Now he is inside 95% of the time. He goes out occasionally to "protect his house" and comes right back in.

Just let him in then feed him some yummy food. When he wants to go back out let him. But keep letting him in. It will take a month or two but you will be sucessful in reintroducing him as an indoor cat. Good luck on your efforts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rude comments please

I did not abandoned my cat, he stays outside on my front porch. He gets fed and watered. I did not kick him out because of his act of jealousy. He got outside one day and did not want to come back in. I did not declaw him my mother did. I am not wanting to get another cat to replace him I am wanting one to add to our family. No rude comments please!

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
No one was being rude, they just didn't understand the cat went out (stayed out) of his own free will.
I agree with making indoors a very desireable experience and increasing the amount of time he stays in.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: No rude comments please

HollysMommy said:
I did not abandoned my cat, he stays outside on my front porch. He gets fed and watered. I did not kick him out because of his act of jealousy. He got outside one day and did not want to come back in. I did not declaw him my mother did. I am not wanting to get another cat to replace him I am wanting one to add to our family. No rude comments please!
I am not being rude, if I was you would know it. Just looking out for kitty, its a rough world out there for a declawed kitty. Believe it or not I have had friends who have had cats/kittens taken away by wildlife.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I just replied to your PM, HollysMommy, and apologized for assuming you had declawed your kitty.

I know it's hard to find the time to play with your kitty, but it will be worth while. Get a nice toy like Da Bird and spend some time quietly playing with your kitty after your daughter goes to sleep. Show him that the indoor life can actually be fun. :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Please bring your cat back inside. It can be a death sentence to allow a declawed cat outside. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts