Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats, an 11.5 year old calico, Tybee and a 9 year old calico, Coda. Coda is one who has never jumped up on anything except the bed and where he food sits in her area. Tybee on the other hand is one who explores anywhere she can, including the kitchen counters (problem #1). Over the last week, my husband and I have woken up 3 times to a very unpleasant experience...cat poop, and now pee, on the kitchen counter right where Tybee likes to perch herself (problem #2). We have been in this house for 9 months and have not had this problem at all until this last week. Matter of fact, I have never had this problem with her or any other cat I have owned. We have been packing over the last few weeks because we have purchased a new home. And, with it being pretty cold outside we have been letting our boxer, Dallas stay in at night. We have done this many times before, with no reprocussions from either feline. My husband is fed up with this behavior, as I am too, and has said that he doesn't want the cats at our new house. Help, please! I have had these 2 since they were kittens. I can't just find a new home for them, and I don't see how, if this behavior continues, my husband will ever regain trust in Tybee. Any thoughts, tips, ideas as to why she would just now begin doing this and what I can do to prevent it? Also, in regards to problem #1, how do I keep her off the counter? Thanks for any help you can provide. :sad

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
The first reason for the inappropriate peeing could be a urinary tract infection. I would take her to the vet for a check-up.

Urinary Tract Disorders in Cats | Little Big Cat

Another reason, although very unlikely from your description, could be the dog had your cat cornered up there and she couldn't reach the litter box.

Keeping cats off counters? Good luck with that. Cinderella and Cleo never ventured up there. Then I got the bratz, and they taught Cleo all sorts of bad habits. I've given up the counter fight. I try to keep my counters as boring as possible. Now they mostly only jump up when I'm doing dishes or fixing a meal, to keep me company. Cleo jumps up and stares at the cupboard where the wonderful, magical kibble is kept.

Inappropriate elimination is one of the most common reasons cats are given up. I hope you figure out Tybee's issue soon.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It might sound cruel, but if you give them a big scare they will never try the counter again.

Gatito jumped on top of the counter, and stepped on the dish dryer that was full of dishes. He fell along with the dish dryer and all the dishes and glasses which made a BIG crashing sound. He never got near the counter again.

You could try splashing him with water or something else that scares him (a loud sound) every time he tries to jump on the counter. It sounds harsh but if there's a chance of rehoming them, you should try everything before that happens.....

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
Sorry, Lenka, but that's a really, really bad idea, at least that scenario. Cali fell off the counter while playing around on the dish drain, and the drain and what was in it fell with her. A heavy saucer fell on her foot with her and broke two toes.

The OP isn't considering rehoming for the counters (at least I don't think so), it's the peeing and pooping.

Even if you can train them to stay off the counters while you're around, they're probably having parties up there when you're gone. :grin:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've given up on the counter/table thing too. They usually stay off when I'm around, but like yours Marie, I KNOW they are up there when I'm not in the room.

Definitely get your cat checked by a vet though, they are so good at hiding symptoms of discomfort, and if you've ever had a UTI (I've gotten them since I was 5 years old) you KNOW how uncomfortable they can be.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sorry, Lenka, but that's a really, really bad idea, at least that scenario. Cali fell off the counter while playing around on the dish drain, and the drain and what was in it fell with her. A heavy saucer fell on her foot with her and broke two toes.

The OP isn't considering rehoming for the counters (at least I don't think so), it's the peeing and pooping.

Even if you can train them to stay off the counters while you're around, they're probably having parties up there when you're gone. :grin:
Oh I'm sorry about Cali! how did she recover from two broken toes?

I never imagined a scenario where the cat fell off the counter with stuff that might injure him. I pictured something more like clapping loudly or stuff like that so the cat relate that "scary" sound with the counter and jumps off... Gatito falling with all the dishes was an accident, for sure. I'm glad he didn't get injured. But yes, I guess you're right, it could be dangerous :sad sorry.

And yes, even if you train them, they do what they please while you're away (I open the door, a cat sleeping on top of the dinner table wakes up and quickly jumps off it)

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
They put her in a splint for a month,
but she still loved me THIS much

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I agree with Marie. Recent stress of packing could well have brought on urinary issues. A trip to the vet would tell you one way or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts