Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How soon may I expect a kitten to use it's kitty-litter box? We may be getting a Main Coon. What should I do to teach a kitten where to go?

I have never had a kitten before, but I have had a couple of older cats.

Also, what are some methods for encouraging the use of a scratching post?

Is there a good place here to read about these things?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
All kittens I've ever dealt with have instinctively gone in the box. A few years back we found a litter of 4 week old kittens, (we also found mom... in the road...) we made a litterbox from an old shoe box and even they knew to go in it.

To make a long story short, it's instinct for them to go in a litterbox. :D

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Judging from my experience, you're best off purchasing a corrugated cardboard cat scratching board instead of a scratching post.

All of your cats will love it, in fact, in order to appease them you may have to get more than one.

They're cheap and disposable, (it takes a few months for my two cats to go through one), here's a link:

http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_29620.shtml

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just make sure your kitten knows where the litterbox is. Some people recommend picking up the kitten and bringing it to the litterbox a few times a day in the first few days. Most kitten accidents happen because they could not find the box when they needed it.

You also may want to do the same with their food dish so they know where to find it when they are hungry.

You can find alot of good information on "all things cat" at:

www.catsinternational.org

Good luck and let us know how your new family member is working out.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Most kittens know where to go to use the potty but make sure you guide them to the litter or put them in there after they eat, so they know. Kittens are pretty smart, unlike pups hehe. Definitely get some type of scratching post, you dont want your furniture torn up b/c there wasnt any around. Kittens have pretty sharp claws! Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You may want to start with litterbox and food close to each other for the first 4 to 7 days. This could avoid any potential confusion.

Then you can put the litterbox and dish where you want them... just don't move the litterbox constantly and make sure you show them the new location.

Compared to puppies, kittens are very low maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:D Thanks for sharing all your good experiences with me. I am relieved to know that a kitten will use it's litter box from the start.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To accustom your kitten to the scratching post, try spraying some catnip spray on it (you can get it in most pet stores). It's great for enticing cats to use things like scratching posts, toys and beds.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Richo said:
Just make sure your kitten knows where the litterbox is. Some people recommend picking up the kitten and bringing it to the litterbox a few times a day in the first few days. Most kitten accidents happen because they could not find the box when they needed it.

You also may want to do the same with their food dish so they know where to find it when they are hungry.

You can find alot of good information on "all things cat" at:

www.catsinternational.org

Good luck and let us know how your new family member is working out.
I like to show cats the box as well - as in put them in and and show them they can dig in it.

In the mind of a cat, they will want to bury their waste. And will logically go to the place where it is easiest to do so. If they know where this is they'll get accustomed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts