Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 indoor cats (10 mo male, 6 yr female) and would like to find a good food for them.

I have been using Pro Plan and Purina One lately and they are fine but I have a problem with one of my cats eating my plants and didn’t know if there was a food out there that has what a indoor cat needs so they don’t need to do this.

I love the soft / shinny coat my cat has right now but my female is shedding more then usual.

I would like some opinions on these foods when it comes to:

Stool amount - a lot, less
Stool odor
Shedding
Healthy coat
Does it make them drink more or less water
And of course prevents cats from eating plants

Royal Canin
Pro Plan
Nutro MAX
Eukanuba
Iams
Purina One
Science Diet
Nature’s Best
Nature’s Recipe
Natural Choice
SophistaCat
Blue

I know that Wellness, Chicken Soup.... and others that are not listed here are good also but I don’t have a local store that carries them.

Thanks for you help,
Debbie

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have direct experience with science diet and innova dry and innova wet. It may help give a general idea

Stool amount
Science Diet and Innova Dry had about the same amount, not a lot. Innova wet had noticeably less.

Stool odor
Science Diet and Innova Dry both smelled REALLY bad for one of my cats. Innova wet was much better.

Shedding
Science Diet caused noticeably more shedding than innova dry. Innova dry caused noticeably more shedding than innova wet in one cat, but my other cat, who is a big sheder, doesn't seem to have a difference.

Healthy coat
Science Diet seemed slightly worse than innova dry. Innova wet is MUCH healthier coat than dry.

Does it make them drink more or less water
I didn't notice much difference in the consumption of water between the two dries. With the wet, they rarely drink water.

And of course prevents cats from eating plants
I don't have plants, but I imagine it won't help. There are things you can buy that help with this, such as sticky paws and scents.

[added]
As for availability of brands, you can also mail order some of those brands.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i'm feeding my 10 wk. old kitten:
-wellness dry kitten food
-a little bit of wellness wet kitten food
-nutro pouches in kitten

Stool amount - i would say he goes about 3 or 4 times a day. he currently has diarhhea right now due to coccidia but he's on medication so hopefully the amount will decrease.

stool odor - diarhhea, self explanatory

shedding - i'd say about average, i comb him maybe once a day as he is a long hair,if i missed a day, then i definitely comb him the next day.

healthy coat - yes, very soft and smooth.

water consumption - i see him drink from his water bowl at least twice a day, and he sits there drinking for maybe 2-3 mins.

plants - before i brought back the plants outside, he would claw at the pepper plant sometimes, and same with the tangerine plant, but not too often, he wasn't really interested in them i guess.

hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I have heard that Blue is a very good food, up there with Wellness and Chicken soup. I don't think it comes in wet food though (very unfortunate).

Science diet dry:

Stool amount - More than on MediCal dry (prescription diet food), more than on Wellness and Eaglepack wet, less than on Costco (cheapo dry brand)

Stool odor - worse than MediCal and Eaglepack, better than Costco and Wellness (but this was using a fish flavour of wellness :?)

Shedding - better than Costco, but worse than MediCal, Wellness and Eaglepack

Healthy coat - same as Costco, but worse than MediCal, Wellness and Eaglepack
-when I switched from Costco to SD, my cats still had bad dandruff - their dandruff got better when I switched to a better food, and completely resolved when I switched to wet food

Does it make them drink more or less water - same as other dry foods I have tried - but more water drinking than when I switched to wet food

And of course prevents cats from eating plants - I've just put my plants where they can't reach them, otherwise they would continue to destroy them
-maybe you can get your kitty some cat grass - I've heard they are less likely to eat your plants

Do they sell Eaglepack, innova, solid gold, natural balance or felidae where you live? I've heard that those are all really good foods. I have also heard though that felidae has given some members' cats stinky poop.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
queen of the nile said:
I have also heard though that felidae has given some members' cats stinky poop.
I can affirm that one. :roll: Good food, but stinky poop.

I've had tremendous success since switching my kitties to chicken soup dry with wellness canned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Eaglepack, innova, solid gold, natural balance or felidae"

I believe we have Natural balance here at petsmart, but the others I haven't seen.

I did some searching on the web for the Chicken Soup and found that I can get the here at a feed store. 18lbs for $17.99.

I have heard so many that post here using this so I think I'm going to go out of my way and try this and see how things go.

Thanks for everyones help. If this doesn't work, you guys gave me some brands to look for instead.

Debbie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice post.
I'm just not sure if I should get the regular or lite.
My 6 years old female is slightly over weight but my 10 mo old male is just right, but he does have the flabby tummy.

Debbie

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wondering.... How do you get your kitty pictures on the side and bottom of your postings?

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Start with regular. I've read that light formulas just add more filler material (in this case it looks like oatmeal) and reduce the fat. In my opinion (and Dr. Jean knows better than I do, so if she replies here, listen to her), your cats don't need this filler material and the fat would be better for them. If your cats need to lose weight, just reduce the amount of food you feed them.

As for the avatar (the pictures under our names) and the signatures (the pictures at the bottom of our posts), here's what you do: Go up to the top of the screen and click the link that says "Profile." Scroll down to the second block of information. It's labeled "Profile Information." The last block to fill out in that section is labeled "Signature." You can either type in some saying or you can link a picture in that section. If you need a place to store your signature picture, feel free to use the Cat Photos section of this website. The link to the Cat Photos section is also at the top of this screen. If you would like a pretty picture of your cats, talk to ForJazz in this thread: http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2653&start=165.

For your avatar, scroll down to the bottom of your profile page. You can upload a picture straight from your computer but it has to be smaller than 120 pixels by 120 pixels and no larger than 6 KB.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
The pic on the left is called an 'avatar'...if you go into your profile,
you can upload a pic from your machine for that one. You will need to resize the picture first so that it will fit in the size requirments.

The bottom photo's are called 'signatures' or 'sigs'.
I love the 'siggy's' There are people who really enjoy making them!
You can make your own or find a volunteer in the cat art area.
Then it has to be hotlinked from another location...you may need a little help with learning about that the first time. Maybe some of the members here will just give you the link for that? I am a newboe myself, so I am not sure about that...hop on over there and ask! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try that.

Thanks everyone for a great info. I can't wait to get my cats on the Chicken soup knowing it is healthy for them and doesn't seem to be any more expensive then any other 'good' foods out there. I will never go back to grocery store bought foods. Although I can get Purina One at my local store and it's not that bad if I have to in a pinch.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Here's my experience on RC:

Stool amount - less
Stool odor - didn't smell, but the litter matters too
Shedding - normal
Healthy coat - good coat
Does it make them drink more or less water - considering that it's dry food they have to drink a lot of water and my cats did, however that's individual
And of course prevents cats from eating plants - my cats didn't eat plants before so I don't know if the food mattered there

Nowadays I make my own cat food and for those who are curious here's my experience on that:

Stool amount - almost nothing
Stool odor - doesn't smell
Shedding - little
Healthy coat - excellent coat
Does it make them drink more or less water - they don't have to drinkt a lot of water at all and they donät drink much nowadays
And of course prevents cats from eating plants - again, my cats have never eaten plants

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate to be a pest but I downloaded a cat picture to the member gallery and now I not sure how to get it into the signiture window in my profile.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Debbie25 said:
I'm just not sure if I should get the regular or lite.
My 6 years old female is slightly over weight but my 10 mo old male is just right, but he does have the flabby tummy.
My overweight cat, Punky gets about 2/3 of daily meals chicken soup light and the other 1/3 is canned food. (That's about all the canned food she will eat in a day.)

Elly, the calico in my sig, is 11 months old and I don't want her eating a lot of "light" food so she gets about 50% of her diet as canned food. (and I do my best to feed her more times than Punky because Elly is still growing.)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi and welcome! (And thanks all for the tips on pictures, I will have to get around to doing that some time!)

In order to choose the right food for your cat, you need a little education about what's in cat foods and what kinds are best. There are a bunch of articles on this on my website, http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library
You can sort by "category" at the top of the columns; look through the ones on nutrition, or check these specifically:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=016

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 18 of 18 Posts