Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had cats all my life, this has not ever happened to one of my kitties before and I feel like a terrible owner. Now please note Oreo has an appointment Tuesday morning (earliest I could make it.) anyways on her chin and ears there is missing hair with black dots, almost like black dandruff. I began researching right away and I called her vet. My vet was not certain what it was but she said it could be mange. I was astounded, my cat? With mange? I didn't even know cats got mange! How is this possible for an indoor cat? Ahhhhh has anyone else every experienced this? I know it might not be mange, I am just freaking out. My poor kitten!

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
That's a huge leap. I'm surprised a vet would say that without checking out your cat, if for no other reason than not to freak you out.

Sometimes Google is not your friend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for making me feel better I will let everyone know Tuesday what exactly it is!

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
We've all let Google freak us out at one time or another, with cats or other issues. Seems only the worst scenarios pop up. I thought Cinderella was having a seizure once. Turns out, she was chattering at the birds outside.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
On the chin, I'd say it's acne. On the ears, I'm not sure. In any event, I doubt if it's anything particularly worrisome. Relax. You're not a bad kitty mom. If the worse thing that happens to Oreo is a little acne, I'd say you're bucking for Greatest Kitty Mom on the Planet!

Laurie

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
I haven't heard of mange in cats either. Mites yes, flea dropping yes, ringworm yes... I googled it and it said it was rare in cats. What ever it is, it should be easy to treat and resolve.

Its when there is fever or congestion or loosing fluids quickly is when I get concerned. But skin problems never seem as serious. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cat's do get mange but this is usually in feral & stray cat's, it is contagious but unlikely for a indoor kitty to contract as it is not an airborne thing it can only be contracted through skin to skin touch & it is usually red & sore, it is a nasty lil mite that lives & breed's under the skin.

is your kitten itching & scratching at her chin & ear's?? do your other cat's have any of the same symptom's?

I agree with Marie that it is a bit un professional of your vet to say that it may be mange without even seeing your kitten !!!!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
It sure sounds like feline acne, which Murphy has had a bunch of times. It looks like little smudges of dirt on his chin. Fortunately, it just goes away on its own -- no big deal!

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
I agree--sounds like acne. "Mange" is a broad topic, as there are 2 different varieties with different causes. Neither presents like this. I have no idea why your vet would suggest this, really!

Does Oreo use any plastic bowls for food or water? Plastic can cause chin acne.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Maybe this is a gift from the universe on how knowlegable your current vet is about cats. Maybe rethink keeping this as current vet?

I have to say from our experiences of using just about every vet in two counties is vets, like human doctors, are not all on the same skill, diagnosis levels.

Majority of vets are dog vets and unless its run of the mill common stuff they will apply dog disease and malidies to cats. But its really apples and oranges when it comes to cats and dogs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your help, yes she uses plastic bowls, and no I do not have any other cats, just one dog. Another dog came in for two nights, a friends dog and he was infested with fleas all over. Found some fleas on Oreo the other day and did the dreaded flea bath, she avoided me for the rest of the day. My vet appointment for a different vet is thursday I canceled the one for the vet that freaked me out. This vet that I am taking her to has very high reviews. I will let everyone know!

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Well, first thing is to get rid of the plastic. Use glass, ceramic, or stainless steel instead. I have lovely small, short SS bowls that wash up great and I just love them.

Plastic is generally to be avoided for many reasons (BPA, etc.) and many cats are allergic (and get acne as a result).

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
"Black dandruff" in an animal with fleas is almost certainly flea dirt (flea excrement made up of dried blood). Brush some of that black dandruff onto a white sheet of paper and drop a couple of drops of water on the dandruff. I bet it'll dissolve into a blood red stain on the paper.

Be very careful with ANY flea products (including flea shampoo) that you use on Oreo. Many of those products are highly toxic. Use only products acquired from or recommended by your vet. If you see any more fleas on her before the vet appt., use non-medicated (NOT flea) cat shampoo or diluted Dawn dishwashing liquid to bathe her. Or just use a flea comb.

The scabby area under her chin is probably still feline acne caused by the plastic food and water bowls you've been using.

Laurie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! Thank you so much for all your help. It was feline acne and the vet recommended alcohol swaps? Not sure about this. He put her on revolution flea product. Telling me that flea shampoos do not actually work that well. Boy, the trip to the vet was hard, she screamed the whole way, broke my heart. Then when they gave her her shots she began shaking all over, I felt so bad. :( she's been resting all day today, but I think she has forgiven me. She gave me a kiss on the nose. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Our first cat had feline acne every once in awhile. (Before we all knew the evils of plastic bowls.) We just used very warm water on a cotton ball and held it under his chin as a compress for about 5 minutes. At the end of the time we would use a clean cotton ball, also with very warm water and gently scrubbed his chin and then dried it. I think the warm water felt good because he used to run to us when we called him for his "chin washees". If your cat has any broken skin on her chin, the alcohol would sting and she might not be as cooperative in the future. I'm not a big fan of alcohol with cats because it will upset their stomach if they ingest any.

Hopefully getting rid of the plastic bowls will clear this up. Even with ceramic, glass, or stainless steel, make sure you clean both her food and water dishes all the time. Our current cat gets his water bowls changed twice a day and gets a clean bowl for every meal. The bacteria left on the bowls is probably the major cause of chin acne.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Glad to hear that you found out what was going on. Margaux has had acne for several years. At first, I tried warm water on a cotton ball. You'd think it would feel good, but Margaux hissed and tried to bite me every time, so that was the end of that. When it flares up, I hold a flea comb to her chin. She rubs against it and the little black flakes will come off. It must itch, because she absolutely loves to clean her chin this way.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Sounds like you're forgiven. I'm glad it wasn't mange. Or the black plague. Or the ebola virus.

Geesh, talk about scaring somebody needlessly!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really am sad right now, she did a 180 when I gave her her deworming treatment, now she growls at me. :( makes me sad, how long will this last?

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Sadly, that's normal. Can you give her a treat to try to make it up to her? Or play with her? My girls forgive me pretty quickly when I have to do something horrible, like trim their claws or - gasp! - get a dingleberry from their bum.

If you leave her be, she'll come to you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts