Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new kitten is a bundle of energy and I think it is way to much for my 14 year old cat. When the elder comes into the house the kitten goes into a frenzy and starts leping, jumping and running circles around him, which makes him very nervious. The little one is swattng at his tail and hind end which put the other into a hissy fit. Not sure what I can do.....the older cat stays out in the summer most of the time, but I know that winter is coming and don't want to make his life miserable.....any ideas?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
*Someone* has to play with the kitten, so I guess that would be *you*! :wink: See http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012 for some suggestions on how, with what, and when.

However, the best thing would probably be another kitten, a playmate to help distract your baby from the older cat. Two kittens are always better than one! (If you do bring in another kitty, be sure to read up on base camp and cat introductions in our free library at the same place as above).

Where are you that winter is coming? In July I am not even willing to *consider* the possibility of winter ever coming back! :lol:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh we play with him all the time and have the scars to prove it. LOL. Even if we are playing with him all he has to do id hear is our big cat meow and he takes off after him. We were considering another kitten, so that may be the answer.

I live near Buffalo, NY so I always have winter in my mind LOL! :roll:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Do not play with the kitten with your hands. *Always* keep a toy between your hands/feet and the kitten. This may be contributing to the aggression that you are seeing.

To get the kitten out of the habit, everytime the kitten attacks you, say "no" or "ouch", then let your hand go limp. Remove the kitten and place it in it's "play area". This is the place where all the kitty toys, scratching post are. Then you should play with the kitty for a few minutes. This teaches the kitten that attacking your body is inappropriate and that it's play aggression must be directed at the appropriate target - toys.

I hope you can get this solved. It will take time and persistance, but it *will* get better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts