Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't realize that my "I've read the rules" post didn't count as one of the three posts I had to make in order to get access to the rest of the forum. I hope the moderators are okay with me posting this in this forum instead of the behavior forum, because I'd really like some feedback ASAP from people who know more about cats than I do.

Almost a year ago, I moved to an apartment with one of my best friends. My friend brought her cat, Vicki, a 7-year-old Maine **** (she's either half or 3/4 Maine ****, we're not sure) who she had adopted from an animal shelter 3 years before.

At the time, my friend was working a night shift. This had the unintended side effect of the cat always having someone in the apartment with her: My roommate would come home as I was leaving for work, and vice versa.

A month ago, she switched to a day shift. Since then, the cat keeps urinating on the bathroom floor, usually on the rug and any clothing that was left on the floor. I just bought a black light and have discovered there are also stains in the hallway. She also pooped in my roommate's room at one point.

Is this separation anxiety, or something else? Should we bring her to the vet? If it is separation anxiety, what can we do? Would getting a second cat help? Would giving her extra attention when we are home help?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me advice.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I think you should rule out any medical issues first. A trip to the vet and ask him to check for UTI or similar issues is in order, imo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts