Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i think my cat may have vomitted earlier today. it was in my roommates room and my roommate cleaned it up before i could see it (because i was out). the way she described it, it sounds more like vomit than diarrhea/poop.

is it normal for a cat to throw up occasionally? i've only had her for little over a week now and this is the first time this has happened. i've heard her having little coughing fits that sound like she's about to throw up/cough up a hairball or something, but nothing ever came up. my roommate also didn't see it happen. she actually just walked into the room and ended up stepping in it!

just want to make sure my kitty's ok

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
It could be nerves, she could have eaten too fast, or it could be a precursor to a hairball. I wouldn't worry at this point, just make sure she's eating/drinking water/pooping okay.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
One of my cats eats too fast and ralphs on a regular basis if I don't spread her food out on her plate.

My other cat has only thrown up twice and in both cases it was a life threatening situation. I was lucky to get her to the vet immediately.

Foamy vomit is never a good thing. Keep and eye on the critter. If it happens again and it's not undigested food grab a sample for your vet.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
My cat Blaze pukes once or twice a week on his kibble (never his wet food)... I don't worry about it, since he's healthy otherwise and 15 years old. He likely just eats too fast or the kibble has some problems going down.

Meanwhile Blacky has never puked up food or had a hairball that I know of in 8 years. ... I have caught her puking up grass a couple of times, though.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Yeah, Mow vomits soon as he eats any sort of dry cat food or treat. Otherwise he brings up hairballs about once a week if I'm not diligent with giving him his pumpkin.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah, Mow vomits soon as he eats any sort of dry cat food or treat. Otherwise he brings up hairballs about once a week if I'm not diligent with giving him his pumpkin.
Actual canned pumpkin or is this code for something else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ohh yeah, the vet did tell me about some hairball treat that i can give her. do a lot of you guys give your cats these treats? there's nothing bad/unnatural about it, right?

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
There are several hairball gel products, and you can give them plain old vaseline, which is the main ingredient of most of the gel products. I'm not sure how well the treats actually work, though.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Actual canned pumpkin or is this code for something else?
He gets a tablespoon of canned plain pumpkin (not pie filling). I was told the fiber would help him pass hairballs and so far so great. If I skip more than a few days he starts gagging up hairballs.

It supposedly helps cats with chronic anal gland troubles(which we don't have thankfully).

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
I'm going to have to try that with Gigi.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Hairballs!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
she threw up again! :( i saw it happen this time. poor girl, i think it's because she's not digesting the food properly or she's eating it too fast, not the hairball. i saw the throw up had some chunks of the dry food that were still whole and not chewed up and the whole thing also just smelled like dry food.

does this mean i shouldn't give her dry food? she didn't have a problem with it before yesterday. maybe she is eating too fast. this morning i put the food in her bowl (like i usually do) and then maybe 2 hours or so later it was all gone! it's supposed to be a whole day's worth of food.

if she is eating it too fast, how should i spread it out? should i just split it into feeding her 3 times a day instead of putting it all in the bowl in the morning.

oh yeah, after she vomits, should i feed her again, since she barfed up all the food?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are you only feeding her dry food? If you are and she is eating it too fast, it would make sense that she throws it up. I would try to give her wet food as this is a lot healthier for cats. Feeding only dry is bad on the kidneys. Cats need water which is provided by the canned wet food.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
You're giving her a whole day's worth of food at one time? She's probably not only eating too fast, she's eating way too much in a short period of time. If you're home all day, split it into 3 or 4 meals. If you work, split it into 3 meals, one in the morning, one when you get home, and one at your bedtime (this will also help quiet her down at night).

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I would split it into 3 feedings per day and, as kittywitty says, wet food would be better. You can feed her a little bit again, but I wouldn't put out another day's worth of food.

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
Great minds..... :grin:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks for the advice guys. i didn't realize that putting all the food out at once would be a problem, i thought she could just eat as she's hungry, etc. rookie mistake i guess =/

from now on i'll feed her 3x a day as many of you suggested. how much wet food do you guys give your cats a day?

·
Super Moderator
26,806 Posts
I'm not sure how old your cat is, but if she's a kitten, they can eat about 5-6 oz. a day. I would give her a 3 oz. can of wet in the morning, then split another one between coming home and going to bed. That may be a little too much, depends on the cat.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Your cat is 1.5 years old, based on what I read above. A kitten usually requires more food because they are still growing. However, since she is an adult, you can follow the feeding suggestions on the back of the can. You can split a 5.5oz can in half, give one half in the morning and then the other half in evening. You just need to know the calories of the food because some canned foods have different amounts of calories as bigger cats will require more while smaller cats less. So, remember to look at the feeding instructions. Hopefully you will feed her a good quality wet food, preferrably grain-free (grains are considered rice, wheat, corn, etc.) since it is easier to digest. The cost of a grain-free wet canned food can be pricey but it is a lot healthier for the cat in the long run. It is hoped that by feeding your cat healthy foods now, she will have less medical problems such as kidney problems, diabetes, etc. later on in life. Hopefully by feeding your kitty wet food causes her to feel better and reduce/stop her throwing up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts