Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

My kitten called bob (9 weeks) has what looks like a cold he sneezes reguarly and green gunge comes out and hes been asleep all day i cant get him to the vet till friday(4days) so i was wondering can neone give me ne advice as to what i can do to help my little moggy ?

Thanks

Richard

:roll:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Richard. The only advice I've got is to keep a close eye on Bob and make sure he doesn't get worse. If he does take a turn for the worse (won't eat, won't pee, etc.) get to the emergency vet.

Moved to Health & Nutrition.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Annissa said:
Welcome to the forum, Richard. The only advice I've got is to keep a close eye on Bob and make sure he doesn't get worse. If he does take a turn for the worse (won't eat, won't pee, etc.) get to the emergency vet.
I agree with Annissa and want to add to watch out for him acting lethargic at all too! That should especially noticeable in a 9 week old kitten since they tend to be fairly playful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He dosent seem to want to play at all just sleep so ive left him to it thinking sleep will make him better, thanks for the advice tho ile keep checking him to make sure it dosent get worse

*first cat can you tell*

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yes and No.
As much as we all dish out advice here, when it's one of our own we tend to be just as flustered as if it were our first cat too!
Don't by shy, ask anything you need, someone here can usually relate.
Keep an eye on the kitten if he's sleeping that much. Be aware of his body temperature too. If he feels warm, you may need to check it. If he has a fever, I'd bring him to the emergency vet, kittens can dehydrate quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont wanna sound stupid but where is an emergency vet ? (ime in fordbridge, birmingham, uk) and will i have to sell my car to afford it ?

Richard

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hmm. Well I'm in the states, so I couldn't give you a location. Perhaps you can call your regular vet and explain to them that you don't think you can wait that long to get your kitten in. They should either squeeze him in, or recommend you to an after hours vet that will take animals in emergency situations.

The cost is a bit higher than the regular vet, but if your cat is really sick, it's worth it. I hear that pet insurance is fairly reasonable out there, you may want to consider it. It's pretty controversial in here because it has a lot of limitations and often doesn't pay out in the end. I've heard much better things about it in the UK.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
A lot of vets here in the states will work out payment options with you. If/when you find an emergency vet, ask them if you could pay in installments or if they'll take check dated two or three months from now. Do you have The Yellow Pages where you are? I'm able to look up Veterinarians in the yellow pages here and some of them have emergency vet services and their number printed right in their ads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found an emergency vet and managed to take bob the vet said he has cat flu and gave him some nedles and something called ceporex that i have to "insert" into his mouth twice a day

Thanks for the help everyone :D

Richard

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's an antibiotic commonly used for respiratory infections I believe.
If it's what I'm thinking of, it's pretty decent stuff! Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If it's a liquid form you may find it easier to try to administer it through a syringe from the side of his mouth in the gap between the teeth. Most people try to pry their mouth open and shoot it straight in, but end up having little success doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Psi had the same thing when he was about that age. Just make sure your kitty is eating and drinking (we had to force-feed Psi for about a day) and he'll be back to normal in no-time. I'm glad you got him to the emergency vet! It sounds like he had a fever and it's not good to leave those for too long. Let us know when he's better! And what about pictures?!? Hehehe.

Welcome to the forum, Richard!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive uploaded three photoes to ... here ... sorry there a bit naff but its realy hard to photo a cat that thinks its playtime 24/7

:)

Richard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts