Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a shower and it was considerbly colder than normal :evil: I hope my hot water tank isn't about to break! Ah...it is always something.

·
Banned
12,195 Posts
Is it electric or gas-fired? If gas, check to see if the pilot light is burning. Also, check the thermostat. As you turn it up toward hotter, you should feel/hear a click and hear the heat/burner come on.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I checked it out when I got up. The pilot was out. I lit it, so now I hope it stays on.

What makes it go out anyway?

Fortunately it is a gas tank, because I know nothing about the electric ones!

·
Banned
12,195 Posts
Oh, could be poor draft/back draft in the flue, missing shield making the burner area susceptible to floor drafts, interruption/variation in gas pressure, or just a random occurence. If it happened just this once it's nothing to be concerned about. Water heaters usually give you lots of notice before they quit entirely. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. This is the first time since we bought the house in November. Both covers were on, so I don't think it was a draft. Hopefully it was just random.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
fbodgrl said:
Yep. This is the first time since we bought the house in November. Both covers were on, so I don't think it was a draft. Hopefully it was just random.
That could be a bad thermocouple. If you notice the same thing happening again, go out and buy a new thermocouple first. They are rather easy to install and are not a very expensive part. They are probably 10 dollars or less. Just take the old one out, straighten it, measure its length, and get the replacement one in the same, or slightly longer, length.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts