Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last 10 days he’s had episodes where he wants to lay in an unusual spot and be left alone. Doesn’t want to come to bed with me (that never happens) and doesn’t want to be touched. Sometimes I notice he’s laying in an odd position. Of course, this always happens late at night and I’ve gotten dressed to take him to the ER twice now, only for him to snap out of it. Each time he’s been fine the next morning, and I wake up with him snuggled up next to me and demanding breakfast. Last night he didn’t want dinner and vomited some of his breakfast this morning. He also vomited once yesterday.

It was about two weeks ago that I started him on meat with bones and he’s done really well, but I can’t get him to eat much of the organs. I didn’t put it together until this morning so I haven’t been keeping a close eye on the litter box but I know there was some poop in there yesterday. No idea if it was leftover from Monday, though.

Besides skipping bone meals, is there anything I can do to help him out? More organs isn’t really an option unless I can trick him into eating them somehow. He gets “sardine soup” on Mondays, which is raw egg (with shell) and a sardine mixed in. I can’t get him to eat the egg without the sardine, but I could try just adding the juice in if that will help loosen things up.

In the meantime I’m giving him smaller, extra juicy meals.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Constipation happens. I was in my Vet's office on a Friday morning and it was full of old cats in for an enema. The desk guy told me it happens a lot with old cats and people notice a problem then decide on a Friday that they better get it taken care of before the weekend.

It's an option for you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 7 year old female has chronic constipation which she's on meds 2x's daily for, so I deal with this on a daily basis. So I could give some suggestions in that area.

But I think your first step, is to figure out if your cat is truly constipated or not. Keep a close eye on his litterbox, and if you can catch him in the act - check to see if he's having alot of unproductive straining episodes.

Cats should have a bowel movement once daily. Or every other day at the very least. But I think I have read that cats on raw, go less? Not sure. I don't feed raw, so maybe someone else that does can chime in on that.

I would consider a vet trip if his odd behavior continues, with vomitting and not wanting to be touched. It may be constipation, or it may be something totally different. Its always best to get a correct diagnosis, before attempting a treatment. Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's not uncommon for raw fed cats to go a day or two without a BM.

Have you considered hair balls?

I like to give my 2 raw fed boys coconut oil in their food to help remove hairballs. Maybe some more fat in his diet will help out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out he was jut a LOT more arthritic than I thought. Of course, I only found out after taking him in for more bloodwork (it was fine) and then he couldn’t walk the next day. Now I have him on Cosequin and he’s a totally different cat. No more painful episodes and he jumps all over my kitchen counters. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts