Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know by now through my posts and questions, that Rochelle is skittish. Has been since we brought her home from the shelter about 6 months ago. Since the addition of Alice and after the finding and treatment of her UTI, she's done a 180. She doesn't hide, she has a voice (it's adorable, she sounds like she's singing when she meows :love2), she's even started to purr audibly when we pet her!

Rochelle loves to sleep on our bed. Up until a little over a week ago, she would come in our bedroom after she thought everyone was asleep, and hop on the very edge of the end of the bed. Now she's following me into bed, jumping up next to me, kneading the bed for at least 15 minutes while purring up a storm and rubbing her head on me, and then cuddling herself super close to sleep. She loves it when I put my arm around her and hold her close. She falls asleep purring. And when my boyfriend comes to bed a little later, she usually wakes me up by restarting the kneading and purring, and to reposition herself in the warmest spot she can...right in between us.

And just today I was on the couch, and I called her over to me, and she actually came to me (never happens!) and cuddled with me on the couch for probably a good 20 minutes, purring and kneading my lap! I was so thrilled!

She's turning into my little snuggly kitty and I love it! I'm so proud of her progress! :smile:

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
That's wonderful progress!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! It's so exciting to see Rochelle come out of her shell like this. She's like a brand new cat! Honestly, I like this one better than the one that hid from us and ran from pets and love all the time. ;)

My cuddle bug! :love2

I think I need to go hug her right now.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
That's so great, I'm happy for you! It gives hope to people who adopt skittish cats that things can really turn around. I wish I got that much cuddle time with Murphy!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks October, and yes skittish cats can be changed! It took us nearly 6 months, but with constant love, care, and a stable warm home, she's finally coming around, and it's wonderful. I am so glad I stuck through all the tough times with her to made it work. I hope I never have a day where I don't see her because she's hiding again!

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
You can be our resident cheerer-upper when someone else has the same problem. I know I've seen other members who had the same concerns with their newly adopted cat.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heh, I think Rochelle and I can handle that duty. Really the only big tip is time...just gotta wait it out and keep trying till you both get it right. :)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
That's great to hear. Isn't it wonderful when they make a change like that?
Sometimes I wish my boy wasn't such a lap sitter. He's 12.5 lbs., solid muscle, not an ounce of fat on him and after a while on my lap my legs start feeling numb and I have to move him. I can feel the numbness in my feet.....Ok, Zuba, gotta move.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great to hear. Isn't it wonderful when they make a change like that?
Sometimes I wish my boy wasn't such a lap sitter. He's 12.5 lbs., solid muscle, not an ounce of fat on him and after a while on my lap my legs start feeling numb and I have to move him. I can feel the numbness in my feet.....Ok, Zuba, gotta move.
Haha, oh my. My Dalmatian at 55 lbs thought he was a lap dog...that was interesting. XD I wish my cats would sit in my lap more...they're more of lap-lay-nexters, hehe.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh, Rochelle is sweet! I wonder if you can consider her a tuxedo or a black cat? She has a bit of white tuff on her chest. I heard that tuxedo cats can be quite talkative!

It IS very precious when they change like that isn't it? I had Miu for over a year. She never sleeps on my bed with me, although she'll sleep with my mother on her big queen size bed. I also experienced something similar to you. Last night, Miu jumped onto my bed and was doing her affectionate, body rub routine. Then she settled down and seemed to go to sleep near my legs! Ah, I know the feeling. Very precious indeed! Hurray for your new snuggle bug!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How great for you and Miu! Whatever sparks the change in them, I'm glad for it. It's such a great feeling when you get that first time cuddle, or first time purr, it's like you crossed a huge milestone to be that much closer with them.

I'm not exactly sure what the proper term would be for Rochelle's coloring...I guess it would be more accurate to say black and white cat? I know there was a thread somewhere where someone mentioned "double dot" cats, where the black cat has a small patch of white on the chest, and another between the front legs. Well, Rochelle is a "triple-dot" I guess since she has a third patch between her back legs too. I'm not sure if there's an official term for it, hehe.

She is getting more and more talkative though. We normally keep our bedroom door closed during the day, but Rochelle loves to sleep on our bed. If the door is shut and she wants in, she'll start yowling and trilling at the door, until she gets someone's attention. This is something new in the past week...it's kinda cute, because she always looks at you with this innocent little face when you come check on her.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Ha yeah. Those 'firsts'. It's so precious. Totally undescrible in words. Sometimes, you feel so moved that you think your heart would burst, doesn't it?

Shrugs, well. if the cat looks like it's wearing a tuxedo, then I consider it a tuxedo cat. LOL. :)

Some people dont' like talkative cats, but I love it when my cats. I always talk back and we have this back and forth volley of 'talk'...though some people may think I'm odd. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Oh I'm so happy for you & Rochelle! I can totally relate, as my girl, Lucy was very skittish at first too but she's really coming around! Like you said, it just takes time & patience. Feels great when you know they have decided, after a lot of thought & consideration, that you are trustworthy!!! Lucy has become possibly the sweetest cat I've known and she also has a sweet voice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts