Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some might know the story of stray cat and her 3 kittens showed up on my patio about 3 months ago from no where!!!
2 of the kitten disappeared and one stay with mom cat and i have been giving them a little warm shelter in my patio and food since it has been getting real cold.
i and my neighbor ( cat lover too) are palnning to take her to vet and get her fixed next week but i have noticed the last couple of days she looks like she is pregnant again, her both side are sticking out since she is a thin cat it is very noticable, her stomach area looks normal. so i am wondering if is it too late to do something about it if she is pregnant. i have not talked to vet yet.. my neighbor she is out of town and we were planning to take her to her vet.
we sure don't want another 2-3 kitten running around.
i know the pregnancy cycle is about 60 days but that sure was quick if she is pregnant.
any feedback will be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Yes. They can still be spayed. I don't like doing that to the vet and techs, but if there are no homes or shelters for the litter, it is probably best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. They can still be spayed. I don't like doing that to the vet and techs, but if there are no homes or shelters for the litter, it is probably best.
me either but the problem is that i can't find anyone to adopt this cat and her kitten hangs around her all the time and the kitten is scare of everything, so it won't be a great idea to seperate them anytime soon, the best solution is to at least make sure she does not have anymore kittens.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I have done it. With feral cats, you often do not have ANY choice ... you must spay when you catch them, no matter what stage they are in. Unless there is a way to isolate the mom-cat from all tomcats to prevent re-pregnancy after she gives birth ... you will almost NEVER find a time to spay her when she would not be pregnant.
I don't like doing that with near-term kitties, it is hard on them and hard on the vet and techs ... but in the Big Picture of things ... that is what I keep my goal set on: The Big Picture and sometimes we must do things we don't like in order to achieve a greater good when there is no other way available to us.
I won't judge. Some people can decide to abort a feline pregnancy, some people can't. Either is okay.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can not wait till next week when my neighbor comes back, i made a appointment with my vet for this thursday to take her in and see if it is not too late to spay her, this way i don't have to make a trip twice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts