Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to work this morning and am getting something out of my purse and smell something funky - SURE ENOUGH - someone peed on the side of my purse. I was so sure this problem was taken care of when Satin got fixed. So tonight I go home and find out where all else she's been peeing. Now I have no idea why she's doing this??!!! BEYOND frustrating !! :(

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Geeez! just when you get them straightened out, they throw in a monkey wrench, just to keep you on your toes! :evil: Darn!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She gets fancy feast (about a tbsp) in the morning before I go to work, at night she gets half a can of friskys wet - and during the day free fed dry food - wellness indoor health... and treats every now and again..

The woman who had her before I did fed her Friskies dry food - but I changed her to the wellness because I've heard its healthier.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have you had her checked by the vet? Sometimes inappropriate elimination is caused by a medical issue, and sometimes it's behavioral.

(Have you written another thread on this already? - you said "I thought we had fixed this....")

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Some Bengals have really bad issues with grains. I think the fancy feast and friskies wet foods contain grains. I know my Teddy also has issues with fish flavors.

When I had Teddy on even high quality food that contained ANY grains he would get a UTI every 3-6 months. Once I switched him, he only had 1 UTI in the span of 2 years and that was because of the stress of travel to my parents' and my sister was feeding them pasta as a treat *facepalm*.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She had problems peeing in the house before - she ws in heat -when we got her fixed it stopped - TIL NOW.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's so hard to eliminate the residual smell from cat urination, and then they continue to use the same spot. Do you have "Natures Miracle" or some other enzyme cleaner? That's really the only thing that will effectively eliminate the residual smell. Don't use any other soaps or cleaners first, always the enzyme cleaner. You can soak the purse in it. Personally I would toss the purse unless it's washable/soakable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sorry Satin is doing it again :(

I would take her back to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI, it has been long enough where she could have developed one.
Agreed.

Jack used to pee everywhere, but he was feral and then i had him snipped. Solution indeed.

Then one day, he pee'd or tried to pee inside a suitcase i had out right in front of me.. he got just a tad out not for lack of trying. ER visit obviously followed and i'm IMO lucky he is here with me.

While this is obviously not the issue, there in my opinion (as devalued as it is) is a chance it could be tract related.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm home from work now and did some 'sniffing' around - lOl - I found onlyone place that she's been using - in the laundry room - it's the opposite side of the house from where the two litter boxes are kept. So after cleaning the spot and using Naturs's Miracle on it - I put one litter box in there.

Since it's been there - Satin has hopped in - dug abit and peed. She didn't seem to be in any pain or anything - in out and done. I praised her big time and gave her lots of rubbins for it..

I work tomorrow so can't take her to the vet and of course they are closed already for tonight....

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Taking Satin to the vet this morning --- her head feels hot this morning I don't know if that's a sign of fever or not -- but I will feel better having a vet check her out - she gets so upset though about going there. I feel bad..

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back from the vet and back at work - thankfully my boss is lenient with me needing time off and left me out of the office for a few hours.

Satin peed all over the nurse and the pood all over the vet - I think they will dread to hear of us coming again. Poor Satin gets so upset about going to the vet.

SHe did not have a fever, she did gain some weight, she was seven lbs a month ago and now is eight and a fourth lbs. I thought she looked abit heavier, certainly not fat just healthier. They couldn't get a urine catch since she peed all over the floor and nurse but did put her on antibiotic for a UTI - just in case.

He then went over how it could be a behaviour thing - etc etc. He does want me to change her diet to something for urinary - I went to the pet store and talked to the girl there - she suggested (as did some of you) that since Satin is a bengal the grains might be a problem for her so I'm starting her on Evo - wet and dry. I know I have to go slow on changing the diet but we are starting as of today.

I know that Tuffy will NOT eat the evo wet food as they have none in fish so I'll have to try to feed them separatly I guess - not sure.

I did think of something on my way home from the vet that I'm wondering if it triggered something behaviour wise in Satin -- over the weekend I had horrible back pain and was not able to wash their litter boxes out with clorox water as I normally do - just had hubby change the litter. Is there any chance that she rebelled about that? I guess I'll probably never know - but on the off chance that was the case, I went home and washed them all and changed the litter.. fresh start!

Satin will be in her safe room til just before hubby leaves for work - she needs some time to clean herself before getting free range of the house again. SHe got so messy..I tried to clean some off with wet papertowel but she was NOT thrilled about that.

Anywho - wish me luck!

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
You notice how if they're going to pee outside the litterbox, it's always in something that looks like a container of some kind? But your purse, that's especially not desirable. :-(

·
Registered
233 Posts
When you said you moved a litter box into the other end of the house, I thought that was a great idea.

One of the behavior problems - besides what you said about cleanliness - is distance to the closest box.

Maybe your house is big enough that she needed more boxes, spread out to the far corners. Maybe she doesn't like being too close to the other boxes due to other cats, or it could be the cleanliness thing.

People with basements or second floors also need to have a box on each level of the house.

Good luck, hope you caught it!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm thinking of adding a third box - keeping two where they always were and the third one in the laundry room - more work but will be worth it if she stops peeing outside the box.

·
Banned
952 Posts
If you can, Jan Rebecca, you might also want to consider replacing the Bengals' kibble with additional canned meals. Dry kibble is known for causing several problems, including urinary tract issues, and doesn't really offer much by way of nutrition (even the "high-end" versions), while increasing their wet food intact will definitely help with UTI health.

Just a thought!

AC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts