Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a neighborhood that has some cats who don't apparently belong to anybody, and I eventually decided to feed some of them. Things went pretty well with "Smokey," a gray cat with a heart-shaped white spot over her heart. Then a couple of very cute tabby kittens showed up, and I fed them, too. Smokey hisses at them, refuses to socialize or share food with them, and doesn't spend very much time outside my house anymore.

But C.J. and Simon, as I named the kitties, aren't willing to be friendly with me -- although their perfectly willing to eat my food and beg for treats. Smokey lets me pet her, but these two won't let me touch them. And they have a brother, a not very attractive black and brown mixed critter who I named Freddie, who is getting in on the food -- and even their mother, a black cat (Jasmine, I call her) is slipping around getting some food out of the deal, too.

So now, I have a family of cats that don't particularly like me but expect me to feed them. All I really want is Smokey and the two tabbies (who are now almost full grown, I think). The reason I came to this forum is I'm hoping for some advice on how to get the tabbies to enjoy my company rather than running from me. I have spent plenty of time outside with them while they're eating and have got them to where they'll even take something out of my hand. But they still act like wild cats, basically. One of them, C.J., seems to want to be friends, but I haven't been able to make much progress with them after about six months now.

Any suggestions?

Is there any home of domesticating them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As for domesticating feral cats -- it takes alot of time and patience. You can start off by sitting somewhere close to them when they're eating and then each day get a little closer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my (limited) experience, cats will come around if you feed them. This includes feral cats--they're going to be more hesitant, of course, but they *can* come around. You have to be nice and gentle and, most importantly, recognize that they're going to want more freedom than a usual cat(which is saying a lot). Think of them like a friend you see every so often rather than the folks you see every week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts