Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But Fay and Mia won't let me have one. Plus, they're like $4,000.

Really amazing animal though.

·
Banned
202 Posts
OMG, what IS that???? Some sort of cat I know, but more like something that came in off the Savannah! I've never heard or seen anything like it. Beautiful animal. Got ears!!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
It's a Serval... often people breed them to create a Savannah cat which is a cross between a male Serval cat (wild) and a domestic female cat, from what I understand, usually breed with a Bengal. Often the kittens are stillborn due to birthing complications, and until something like the 5th generation the males are sterile. So there's often a lot more male Savannah in homes, as any females born are kept for breeding - well, until you get to the generations where males can breed, but then they have a lot of domestic blood in them...

Anyway, that's a very beautiful cat! I've meet a Savannah at a cat show before, it looks a lot like that. Their fur is really course.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Serval

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Their fur is really course.
... yeah, I meant coarse. *sigh*

Digikid, an Ocelot looks like this:

It's a wild animal... as far as I know, it has not been bred with domestic cats.

The Ocicat is a fully domestic breed with spots that has no relation to the wild cat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah I thought so......the coloration and the size are similar and that is why I thought of a Ocelot.

I have studied cats all my life....never heard of a Serval though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do they ever have litterbox problems? :p

Yep.

My son has wanted one of these for several years after seeing them both at the zoo and at a big cat rescue place in Arkansas. He and I did a lot of looking and a fair amount of research - enough to know it was way beyond our scope - he still has vague plans for when he owns his own home someday, and can pay the vet bills, and, and, and....

This was an interesting info site on exotics as pets or more accurately private ownership of exotics
Exotic Cats - Exotic Cat Care, and Exotic Cats as Pets

·
Registered
305 Posts
that is beyond the coolest cat Ive ever seen *looks at her two cats watching her* I mean...my cats are the coolest cats Ive ever seen...but this is a close third >.> yeah

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Well, I think if you have the space, the knowledge and the patience to have something like that it'd be fine. Unfortunately I don't believe MOST of the people who jump into a pet like that do.

This person seems to have done a fine job. The cat looks calm, healthy and happy.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And PETA would rather you don't have a cat at all.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
PETA would just kill them all. I liked the normal cat in the video, it was like, "Why is this ***hole getting all the chicken?!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts