Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I know I could just as easily buy one and probably end up spending the same amount of money and avoid some aggrevation, but I love to build and fix things.

So, my next project is going to be to build a cat tree. I don't want it to be really big, just big enough to accomodate two or three perches and maybe a little house/condo on one of them.

I've been looking online for some plan ideas and was just wondering if maybe someone here has done this before and has any good tips. I have tons of tools so I'm able to do pretty much anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want to build it. Thanks for the site though, maybe I can get some visual ideas from there.

I did a search though on the cat forum and didn't find but one other thread on this topic...and it ended up talking mainly about cat "walks".

Do you know of others?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check eBay too though, if i can get a really good deal, maybe I'll just do that...I can always build somethin' else. :p

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm not sure where the post is, but someone got plans to build a cat tree. Hopefully they will respond for you :D

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I can personally recommend an ebay seller if you're interested.

You may be able to find (or buy) plans to make your own somewhere online. It's probably cheaper to go that way.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm interested in the eBay seller...I'm willing to check them out. I do love eBay.

I'm also still considering doing it on my own! I just think it'll be fun to do.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You can also buy cat tree PLANS on ebay -- I got mine for pretty cheap. You know what? I could probably send them to you if you have AIM, and if you don't, you can download it for free at AOL.com by clicking on AOL instant messenger. My screenname is ShadesOfNight926 and I'd be happy to send you some plans. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I copied this from a website a while back and saved it as a word document. I've pasted it below. The picture won't load. If you'd like I can email it to you as an attached word document.

Cats Haven Cat Tree Instructions Adapted from June/July 1994 issue of PETA's ANIMAL TIMES. Build the pictured four-perch cat tree measuring 2' wide, 2' deep, and 4'-6" high.

For structural stability and usability, 1x2 supports are used at the tops of the posts, a support shelf is present in the middle of the tree, 2x 4's were used instead of 4x4's, and two bolts were used per post instead of one. Further, the bolts are recessed so the cat tree doesn't gouge floors.
We also indicate the use of upholstery and batting where you might normally use carpet. This was suggested because cats scratch the carpet to pieces and then eat the pieces. Additionally, this leaves a ragged, bare patch that is difficult to replace. Therefore, a heavy upholstery material and poly batting are suggested for the perches, shelf and base. However, the use of carpet or upholstery are strictly a preference of the cat and their human companion. The wooden structure and plans accommodate the use of either.

Materials

Perches-- one 22" length of 12" Sono tube cut lengthwise into three curved sections.

Posts-- two 8'x2"x4" pieces of lumber, each piece cut into 4'-6", 2'-9", and 9" lengths.

Supports-- three 19" lengths of 1"x2" pieces of lumber (to span the posts at the top beneath the perches), and two 13" lengths to attach the Support Perch.

Support Shelf Perch-- One 19"x13" piece of plywood, to span between posts (to act as a stabilizer) Base-- two 2'x2' pieces of 3/4" plywood.

Hardware-- twelve 1/4" x 3-1/2" lag bolts, twelve flat washers selected to fit the bolts, heavy wire brad staples, staples (for staple gun), and twenty 1-1/2" wood screws.

Fabric & batting-- four 26" squares, and one 34" square in the cat's choice of color.

Misc.-- 500' of 3/8" sisal rope (ten 50' packs), wood glue, and 3" long nails. Tools-- drill, screw driver, hammer, staple gun, wood clamps, measuring tape, pencil.

Alternative: Eliminate the need for lumber and sisal rope by using clean, solid, bark-covered tree limbs or trunks approx. 4" diameter, cut to specified lengths.

Directions

First, prepare posts and base: Post Assemblies: 1) Cut the 2x4's into 4'-6", 2'-9", and 9" pieces (2 of each size). 2) Drill two holes in the bottoms of each length of wood, using a template (see base instructions). 3) Attach the 19" long support 1x2's between the top ends of each pair of posts, spanning the posts like a beam. Attach the 9" pieces together, and the 2'-9" pieces, and then the 4'-6" pieces. Use nails to fasten these pieces. Put them between the posts, not on top of them.

Assemble the Base: 1) Glue the 2'x2' pieces of 3/4" plywood together to form one 2'x2'x1-1/2" base. 2) After the glue dries, drill six holes along two opposing sides of the base about 2" from the edge. An easy way to do this is to draw a template on the underside of the plywood base. Draw a rectangle 1-1/2"x 3-1/2" (the actual size of a 2x4) just 1" from the each edge of the base in the corner, and repeat for each corner. Then draw a rectangle 1" from the edge in the middle of the base, and repeat for each side. You will have three rectangles in a row along each side of the base, 1" from the base edge, as shown below. Place two marks inside each 2x4 for the bolt holes. 3) Countersink the holes with a 1" drill bit. This will allow the bolt heads and washers to be recessed into the wood, so you don't scratch any floors. 4) Cover the top surface of the base with the 34" square of fabric, by centering the base on the overturned square of carpet, wrapping the edges of the carpet around the sides of the base, and securing the fabric with staples tacked through the under side only.

Assemble the posts and base: 1) Attach posts to base with the 3-1/2" lag bolts. Insert a bolt through a washer first, and attach the 9" post assembly in the front. Then attach the 2'-9" post asssembly in the middle, and finally the 4'-6" post assembly in the rear. This forms a ramp the cats can run up. 2) Do not completely tighten the bolts yet. Bring them close to tight, then back them off a bit.

Attach the Support shelf Perch: 1) Stand the tree upright. Clamp a 13" 1x2 between the 2'-9" and the 4'-6" posts, one on each side, on the inside of the posts. Be sure the base bolts are loose, so the posts are free to align themselves properly. Place the top of the 1x2 supports 21" above the base, and level them. 2) With these shelf supports clamped in place, place the 13"x19" shelf perch on them. It should lay flat, and not wobble. Adjust the clamps and support 1x2's until the shelf lays flat. 3) Once the shelf is laying flat, remove it and attach the 1x2's to the posts more permanently. While still clamped in place, screw them to the posts with the 1-1/2" wood screws (two per post). Then remove the clamps. (A screwdriver clutch drill attachment makes this easy work.) 4) Now screw the 13"x19" shelf to the 1x2 supports. Use three screws per side. 5) Now tighten the base lag bolts.

Attach the Perches: 1) Cut the 12" diameter Sono Tube (available in the Concrete Formwork section of the hardware store) into thirds lengthwise, to form three curved sections 22" long. 2) Place one section on top of a post assembly. Screw it in place using the wood screws. Put two screws in each 2x4 post. Repeat for each perch. 3) Cover each curved section of tube with poly batting and a 24" square of fabric, placing seams on the the under sides of the perches, attaching the fabric with staples. Also cover the Shelf Perch with batting and fabric, stapling to the underside of the shelf.

Wrap the Posts with Sisal Rope: 1) Start at the base of the post, and use heavy wire brads and a hammer. Fasten the rope to the bottom of the post, and begin wrapping. Every 6 or 8 winds, tamp the rope down with a hammer. Fasten the rope in the back of the 2x4's only, so the fasteners don't show. 2) At the shelf perch, we cut small sections of rope and attached them individually around the 1x2 shelf supports. Then we continued winding after we passed the shelf. One 50' pack of 3/8" sisal rope will wrap about 20" of 2x4. We constructed three such cat trees. One person spent a couple of hours per night, for about five nights. Wrapping the posts was the most time consuming task. Our cats just love them!

Source: Cats Haven http://www.indy.net/~catshavn [email protected]

[/img]

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ForJazz said:
You can also buy cat tree PLANS on ebay -- I got mine for pretty cheap. You know what? I could probably send them to you if you have AIM, and if you don't, you can download it for free at AOL.com by clicking on AOL instant messenger. My screenname is ShadesOfNight926 and I'd be happy to send you some plans. :)
I don't have it. But, I'll try to download it in a bit. Thank you so much, that's so nice of you!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adavis333 said:
I copied this from a website a while back and saved it as a word document. I've pasted it below. The picture won't load. If you'd like I can email it to you as an attached word document.
If you don't mind, I'd love to see the picture..

my email is [email protected]

Thank you. Wow you guys are fantastic. All of you.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
AddFran: Did you ever make your cat tree? Mine's a work in progress, but I think it's coming together nicely. I'll take a pic once I charge the batteries on my camera.

Basically, I bought a wooden ladder from the hardware store, 4 or 5 50-foot rolls of sisal rope, found some old carpet, and used scrap 2x4s as stabilizers. I wrapped sisal rope on each of the steps and around the wood leading up to the top, then used some old wood to secure the area where you would set the paint can. I wrapped that area in carpet and bought a seat cushion and tied it to the edges for a comfy sleeping spot. Then I nailed a few more 2x4s at the base of the ladder for added security, and nailed another wide board across the two stabilizing boards so I can add a kitty condo. I'm also planning on placing another board and supports to the top step so both my kitties can sleep up there.

Of course, the new cat tree was nowhere near as fun as the old box spring I was getting rid of last week and left it standing in the hallway for a few days.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I bought a cd with cat tree plans on it from ebay and feel ripped off. It was mostly just pictures of cat tree plans. I have it laying around somewhere, I think it has plans for two or three basic ones maybe.

As far as spending the same amount of money as you would if you bought one, I think you're wrong. A few people on here have made their own and spent a fraction of the cost of buying one!

Mainly the wood will cost you. I think if you go to a place that sells carpet, you can probably get some large pieces fairly cheap (since most people get carpet for rooms and houses, a few feet of leftovers will probably be laying around somewhere).

I kept saying I was going to build one, but reality set in and I realized I would spend the money on materials and nail two pieces together and then it would sit somewhere in the way for months and months.

I also bought a cat tree, and my cat won't go near it :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts