Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...until my cat adopted me. :p

I was working at an animal shelter and there were a lot of cats who were put down everyday. About a dozen were euthanized everyday (it was a big city shelter that took in all surrenders). I was cleaning the litter boxes in the sick cat room and these two little paws reached out for me. She was a tortie cat, and she just kept meowing at me and reaching for me. I looked at her tag and she was scheduled for euth the next day. I don't know what it was, but somehow she just reached out to me. I took her home the next day. The vet was coming in to "do rounds" on the cats scheduled to be put down. I took her out of her cage and said I'm adopting her.

And so that's how I brought home an animal I've never had in my life! We got her on anti-biotics for her URI and in just a week she was better. I was worried mostly because I have a dog who in the past would chase cats. But the weird thing was as soon as we brought the cat home, instantly they were friends. They slept together in the dog bed. It's like my dog knew she was sick and was trying to help her get better!

Fast forward to today- my boyfriend and I still have Pancake. she's 7 years old (the tortie mentioned above!), and we took in another cat we named Flapjack. He was a kitten we found wandering around alone in our neighborhood ridden with fleas and worms. He's a big fat happy cat now. He's almost a year old.

We also have two dogs, both pit-bull mixes. Everyone gets along so well it's amazing. Our oldest dog Penny and Pancake (the tortie) have the biggest bond. They spend a lot of time laying together and Pancake will groom her for hours. Flapjack the youngest cat thinks he's a dog. He runs around and plays with the dogs all time.

And recently, we somehow we found ourselves taking in an abandoned 3 week old kitten last week. We waited for the mom to return but she never did so we bought KMR and a heating pad and have her in our bathroom. I found that a lot of great advice for kitten care was on this site so I thought I'd join in!

Thanks for this awesome site. I'm happy to join and share our cat stories!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Thanks for your story. What a wonderful family you have.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
What a wonderful story!....yes cats will choose their owner. Your story would make a wonderful children's book. So sweet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the cat forum!

Your story reminds me of my cat Max (RIP) who was adopted when he was a kitten. My family had a Pomeranian and a bigger dog outside (the big dog, BJ, followed my dad home and nobody ever posted anything saying they were missing a dog in our neighborhood, so we kept him). Eventually, Shadow, the Pomeranian, started to act like Max the cat - he'd sleep in the places Max would, wait in the window for us to come home, and so much more. It was a wonder that they got along so well, but it may be because both were adopted young, and Shadow was small as Max.

Shadow and Max were both the runts of their family I suppose - Shadow was the only black Pomeranian, with a white paw (his full name was Moon Shadow for that reason), and Max was a fiery little redhead. I loved them both so much. They both died of old age years ago.

Below is a goofy picture of Sandstorm, my current kitty - and Max the Persian :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
stories like these always warm my heart. it truly is wonderful how an animal can reach into our hearts so completely and fill our lives with love and happiness. they're the best and being chosen by one is so special!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts