Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way to work is unfortunately near a wilder area of town, a forest of sorts, but its also a park. but anyway, the amount of possums/*****/skunks/unidentifiable critters i see in the road is so upsetting. especially when you can tell they were on purpose (like, who drives down the road with their tire ON the middle line. right?)

But, i dont think anyone realizes how truly upsetting this can be for some people. its not really something you ever get used to, because theres always 'fresh' ones.

thank GOD ive never knowingly noticed a dog or cat or anything even more domestic, but i still hate it. maybe nobody wants a pet possum, but they still deserve not to be murdered, right??

ugh, it just really gets to me some days. im always on the lookout for live ones too, but in the process spot all the hit ones. i hate it.

i have wildlife whistles on my car and i HOPE they work so that way im never the cause. i even avoid the already passed on ones because i dont want to hit them again, out of, i guess love for animals? i know sometimes its actually accidental. But most of the time, i feel like if people got off their phone, stopped doing 80 in a 50, shaving their legs, whatever people do... if they just pay attention this would happen far less.

it just really got to me today

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
It might not have been on purpose, some times you swerve to avoid contact and the animal changes direction too and runs right into the path of the tires.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have never even imagined that someone might hit an animal with their car intentionally. I don't know why I'm constantly surprised by how casually cruel people can be...

Although I know that many times hitting something is totally accidental. My mother hit a squirrel once, and it was definitely just an accident. The squirrel seemed to be minding it's business on the grass at the side of the road, didn't even seem to be paying attention to the cars - and then just as she was driving past it burst into action, sprinted straight under our car and well.... that was very much the end of Mr. Squirrel. My mother felt so terrible (she'd been driving for over 20 years and never killed anything before, plus she had both her kids in the car to witness it) but yeah, we knew it definitely wasn't her fault. And at least when something that size gets hit I'm sure it's a really quick way to go :(

Anyway I know exactly what you mean about having to see it being upsetting. The highway I drive to visit my grandmother always something lying at the side of the road. Everything from racoons to coyotes, to a dog (poor thing..). The worst was seeing a cat that had been hit in my own neighborhood. I had to turn around when I saw it, and drive by a second time. It was obviously dead but just in case it wasn't I needed to make sure I couldn't help it. It's really so terribly sad that anything needs to die that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts