Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...can Dexter tell I've been more stressed than usual lately? I went to a small liberal arts college that didn't have tests or majors or grades (well, they had grades but we were discouraged from looking at them until Junior year at the earliest) and only 450 students but I want to be a vet and so I need to take a bunch of pre-requisite classes that I didn't get as an undergrad. So, I'm taking said classes at a "normal" university, with 36,000 students, lectures, exams, etc. and it's been a pretty stressful transition. Anyway, I came home the other day really upset because I thought I had bombed a lab practical (got a B+ as it turned out, whew!) and for the first time in quite some time, Dexter crawled into my lap, curled up, and went to sleep. Lap-sitting is something he's done on occasion, but ever since that day, it's become a daily thing. As we speak, he's snuggled up against the crook of my knee while I'm trying to work on some online homework (and clearly procrastinating!) I love it, but I can't help but wonder why he's been extra sweet lately, and how I can make sure he stays this way!

Just thought I'd share but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them :)

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
How old is he? In your pics, he still looks like a young-ish cat? Under 2yrs old?
IMO, I feel that our cats *can* tell how we're feeling and change their behavior to help soothe us. I also think that as cats mature, they gradually (or sometimes suddenly!) lose their stand-off-ish "teen-I-don't-need-you-smothering-me" attitude and become love-bugs. When they're young, its' all about play-play-play and feed-me. As they get older, they seem to want to be more a part of us, our family, and begin to follow us more closely when we are around to spend time together. Part of that spending-time-together ... I feel, helps us form an even closer bond together. One where you begin to notice different 'emotions' or 'requests' from your cat, and also where the cat becomes more sensitive to you, too. The more time we spend with our cats, the more we learn, feel and understand.
Looks like you both are off to a great start at a deeper bond and understanding! :luv

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Heidi! Yeah, Dexter is under a year and a half. He still has his kitten energy when there's some awesome bugs around to chase but he seems to have outgrown a lot of his kitten behaviors, especially when it comes to biting and scratching; he hasn't done either in ages.

I just realized, it's coming up on a year that I've had him O.O My, how time flies!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts