Cat Forum banner

I would like to share my dinner... with my cats

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Woodsman 
#1 ·
ok, I know how bad that is. Normally all of my very healthy girls eat a good brand name food, and get only cat treats, etc.

BUT today, I am bbq-ing for the first time ever. I am going to make pork back ribs. I have no family and want to desperatly share with my kids just this once.

I know that chicken bones can splinter and kill, and I know that its not healthy for them but is it safe to let them chew at a bone so I can feel like we ate together?

So anyone out there wanna give me a thumbs up? I understand that people food is not good for them and this is one time deal and I am prepared to deal with any runny bottoms they get.

thanks!

#2 ·
No exactly a thumbs up cause professionally I don't know, but I can give you my personal experience. When I've left rib bones out over night cause I've been too lazy to clean up my cats have chewed them clean. They never seem to have actually ate the bone and they are all fine for it.

#4 ·
Thanks for the insight. I don't think I'll leave the bones out after they've had a good chew at it. I don't want to take that risk.. But thanks, and my girls will probably be very happy to have their very own "human plate" with "human food" on it!!

yeehaww, we're all happy now.

thanks

#6 ·
Well, it's started a good rain here so I will be eating grilled cheese sandwiches from the sandwich maker.

I have changed my mind on the ribs altogether, its just not worth the risk.

Thanks though! :wink:

#10 ·
My cats have eaten everything...we've always given them pieces of meat with no stuff on it, no barbeque sauce or anything else...never had a problem except with the chicken bones. It didn't get caught in their throats, though. They bite down too hard and get a tooth stuck in it, which they typically fix pretty quickly but it's upsetting.

#11 ·
Kobster said:
Sugar doesn't cause worms. Worms are parasites, living organisms, they come only from other living organisms. Cats can get worms from feces, raw meat, even fleas, but certainly not sugar.
Thats what I thought. ;)

#12 ·
If you want to do it again, you should do what I've occasionally done. Cook a little meat like chicken separately and give it to them. Peggy LOVES it. Obviously I don't do it all the time, and it's always off the bone, but a little grilled chick chick has her bouncing all over the place.

#14 ·
I think it's bad to give food from the table because it encourages bad behavior. Even if you do it once the cat may beg for food every time he/she sees you sit down to eat.

I would not give the bone but you can put some of the meat without any spices, seasonings or sauce separately in your cat's dish before you sit down to eat at the table. That's what I would do.

Every once in a while I'll put some cooked chicken or turkey or a bit of tuna from a can into their bowls but I find myself doing this less often now that I'm feeding raw a few times a week. My reasoning is that my cats do get fresh, unprocessed food a few times a week, therefore I don't need to spoil their diet with less healthy table scraps. They definitely get their freeze dried meat treats and bonito flakes every so often though.

If I wasn't feeding raw then I would think it's good to give some fresh cooked unseasoned, unspiced muscle meat as a treat every now and then that isn't as processed as the commercial stuff.

#16 ·
You also have to watch out that the bbq sauce (if you use it) doesn't have onions or garlic.

Last time I went out for ribs when I came home, even though I used one of those wet naps, I must have still had the smell on my hands. My cat latched onto my arm with her paws and spent the next hour sniffing and rubbing her face against my hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.