Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this in local News today :(

Animal rights activist to take pet food fight to Princes Street

A HIGH-PROFILE animal rights activist is set to protest in the Capital against a top pet food manufacturer.

Yvonne Taylor, who was arrested and deported from China after stripping naked for an anti-fur protest in 2002, has organised a "snarl-in" demonstration on Princes Street tomorrow.

Ms Taylor, the newly appointed Scottish campaigner for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), said she was protesting against animal testing by pet food manufacturer Iams - which she claims is cruel. She will be joined at the foot of Castle Street by her pet Jack Russell, Zack, and around a dozen other dogs.

Ms Taylor, 32, who was born in Penicuik, said: "

All other pet food manufacturers manage to avoid testing on animals, but Iams harm cats and dogs by conducting tests on them. It is my mission in life to stop them.

"I live in Edinburgh so I thought it would be appropriate for Zack and I to start our nationwide tour here."

Ms Taylor, who also gatecrashed two Paris fashion shows last year to protest against the use of fur, has invited members of the public to join her demonstration. She will be handing out leaflets from noon and wearing a specially designed costume incorporating a television screen.

A spokeswoman for Iams said today: "This is a routine publicity stunt by animal rights activists.

"These allegations are well over a year old, highly sensationalised and laced with untruths.

"The truth of the situation is that the Iams company has an industry-leading research policy, verified by an independent advisory board of global veterinary and welfare experts."

I had heard Iams was bad but can't remember if it was here or not...

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
As soon as I saw this the first thing who came to mind was peta :roll:

Im not sure if it is iams themselves or Proctor&Gamble (the owners of iams) they make a multitude of stuff.
I saw a clip once of what was sposed to be inside iams company, the animals were in a terrible state. That video was from peta too, ive learnt to become cautious of them tho becuase they are so extreme and its hard to believe in some cases whats the truth.

Ive heard about iams and Ekuanuba (same company) in may places tho, even customers in the petstore I work in.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I had heard that about Iams before, both from the PeTA site and elsewhere. I do know, from researching this, that Proctor&Gamble are almost notorious is their use of animals for testing, so it would not surprise me at all if this included Iams and Eukanuba. I would suggest you take a look at the PeTA site, with a very objective mindset, but also remembering they don't make all this stuff up:

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Ms Taylor, 32, who was born in Penicuik, said: "

All other pet food manufacturers manage to avoid testing on animals, but Iams harm cats and dogs by conducting tests on them. It is my mission in life to stop them.
This statement is certainly false. *Most* pet food companies DO still test on animals. Purina, Hills and Waltham all maintain large kennels for this purpose. Smaller companies contract out to labs. Iams does both.

I worked closely with both In Defense of Animals and PETA on the Iams issue, trying to get them to discontinue or at least limit the invasiveness of their testing. They refused to cooperate at every turn. They wanted us to agree that peritoneal dialysis was a non-invasive procedure--NOT! Overall they were devious and dishonest. I don't believe that they ultimately made any real changes for the better.

Procter & Gamble, Iams' parent company (since 1999) does a massive amount of unnecessary and cruel animal testing on its own products. Even if Iams shaped up, I still wouldn't want to support P&G by buying Iams products. Of course, Iams and Eukanuba are not good quality foods, anyway, so it's no great loss to avoid them!

PETA does have an online list of companies that don't test on animals; some of them (but not all) make good quality pet food. If animal testing is an issue for you, that is certainly a good place to start.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, this thread has become disheartening to me, as I've always fed my furbabies Iams kitten food. 8O I've always been told it's a quality product, contrary to Dr. Jean's assessment. I'm definitely willing to change, but need some advice on what's nutritionally best. I feed my boys a can of wet food in the morning and evening, but leave dry food out all day for them. Need help here, what's the best dry food to give them???

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am def. not keen on the idea of feeding Dylan stuff that from a company that tests on animals... How hypocritical do they want to be!

" feed your cat/dog with our nutrious food, only the best for your pet..... while we murder a few others" :(

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There is no one best food for every animal. Each individual will do better on some, worse on others.

Your greatest weapon against the pet food companies is education. Once you know the truth about what's in the food and how to find foods that are acceptable, you can easily avoid the highly hyped but not-so-great foods like Hills and Iams. Here's an article on how to do that:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=004

The next thing to be aware of is how bad dry food is for cats, especially for kittens. Dry food causes weight gain, diabetes, urinary tract problems, and more.
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood
Kittens especially need to be fed a wide variety of foods in order to prevent finicky, food-addicted behavior in the future.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
It always warms my heart in a strange way to see topics such as this about Iams/P&G.

It's also an improtant mission of mine as well for several years now.

Before Iams and Proctor and Gamble merged, yes Iam's themselves did participate in animal testing.

While I am not a large fan of PETA due to the way the go about things, I do keep up on them and IDA, more so IDA I will participate in.
I am looking into getting my own window decal made for my car that will list such information about Iams/Euk/P&G, a decal/sticker which is not affiliated with something such as PETA.
As often times as someone see's something about PETA and other such organizations they will immediatly turn their heads with the excuse of "they are just stupid extremist, I'm sure Iam's is really a great company" etc etc.

And yes it IS a lie that iams are the only ones who participate in animal testing now adays. In addition to the ones Dr. Jean mentioned, another big one is Royal Canin, basically affiliated with Waltham or Advantage pet foods.

I would love to play a bigger part in this fight against companies such as Iams but it is true, I am only one person. There are typically no events held near me, and even when they are in the tri state area I do not want to be seen as a full supporter of organizations like PETA.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow, I knew about Iams testing on animals but not Purina, Hills etc. I managed to get the owner of the pet store I work at to stop carrying Iams (hooray) but I highly doubt he's going to agree to get rid of all the Hill's and Purina foods. Wow, that is really sad. How can people even have the heart to do something painful to an animal. If I see an animal in pain all I want to do is help. I can't imagine inflicting pain on a helpless being just so that I benefit from the results. It really is disgusting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Australia and had been told by several reliable "cat people" that Iams was good for your cat?? I am happy to change over to a better product but I don't know what the best company is over here. I imagine we have less choice here, and I was lead to believe that Iams were one of the more premium brands. Does anyone know of any brands sold readily in Australia that would be better for my cat?

Gosh...even my vet recommended Iams...its a disheartening thought to think that a company who makes things FOR animals can be so cruel in their treatment towards them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Actually Royal Canin is its own company, headquartered in France, not affiliated with Walthams (headquartered in the UK where they have huge kennels of dogs and cats). RC produces Excel, Sensible Choice, IVD, and of course all the Royal Canin foods.

In the U.S., you can easily tell which companies test on animals; it will say so right on the label in the AAFCO statement: "Animal feeding tests (or studies or trials) using AAFCO procedures..." Otherwise the it will say "(this product) is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO..."

Having worked at the Animal Protection Institute as well as being an advisor to IDA and PETA on the Iams issue, I know way too much about this issue and I could go on and on! The upshot is that the truly horrible invasive studies on animals are (mostly) not being done any more, but most companies still either do feeding tests themselves in their own extensive kennels, or they contract to outside labs to do it, which is no better and still results in animals living in cages for months to years.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dr. Jean: Are you positive on this? Not to say your wrong, I just want to find out the truth.
I used to work for a vet which sold Waltham foods, and we would get information and compairison charts and such all the time about Waltham and Royal Canin. I was under the impression that they had started to merge together so to speak.
Not necissarily to say that they are becoming one food, one company, but more so that they are sharing research openly for the benifit of one another, as an ending result of having .... similar products.

At either rate, I'm not a large fan of the RC dry cat foods, and all their products are over priced as is.

Melbz: I really wish I was more familure with international foods, I have tried to find more information on them but there just isn't enough availble to me.
Iam is a good "premium" TV food lets say. I can advertize my cats bowl movements as premium all I want and hype it to make people believe it and want it. But that doesn't mean that it's actually a GOOD thing.

I think a lot of us here would not classify Iam's as a true premium let alone good food. While yes, some of their formulas are better then say friskies or meow mix, I'm sure you can find a much better food, and for a better price :) Like as I stated with vets and Science Diet, a lot of vets will also have a deal with Iam's/Eukanuba to sell their food, once again with those doctors limited research on pet foods if they are told it's the best then they THINK it's the best.

A good thing you can do is to learn about pet nutrition yourself there is loads of information out there about companion animal nutrition you can find on the internet and from books. I'm sure someone will chime in with one of Dr. Jeans generous free articles on such matters.
So, eventually you will get to the point where you can pick up a bag or can of cat food look at the nutrition information and have a very good idea if this is a food you would want your cat to eat or not. :)
In the long run you'll be happy that you understand such important matters more deeply :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
drjean said:
Actually Royal Canin is its own company, headquartered in France, not affiliated with Walthams (headquartered in the UK where they have huge kennels of dogs and cats). RC produces Excel, Sensible Choice, IVD, and of course all the Royal Canin foods.
Hi Dr. Jean,

Quick question: do you know whether RC is still owned by Mars? In Ann Martin's "Food Pets Die For," it mentioned so, along with Mars owning Pedigree dog food, Sheba and Whiskas cat food, and Waltham.

thx,
george

p.s. Enjoyed reading some of your treatments in Zucker's "Veterinarians' Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats."

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
As far as I know, RC was never owned by Mars. It is an independent company headquartered in France. However, I haven't always kept up on the news, so I will look into it further and let you know.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
260 Posts
We feed Iams, Royal Canin and Hills. All top quality products in my country. We've also fed Nutro in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please forgive the mildly cynical/sarcastic tone of this post. This very same protest stuff was posted on a community I read and it irriated me quite muchly.

I'm afraid that anything I see whining about animal cruelty that comes up with ALF or PETA in it makes me automatically write it off as fanatic stupidity.

I've heard of too many stories of PETA and ALF doing rediculously stupid things. Like this:

Animal rights advocates will single out small children at performances of "The Nutcracker'' in the next few weeks by handing out fliers saying "Your Mommy Kills Animals'' to youngsters whose mothers are wearing fur.

The fliers include a color drawing of a woman plunging a large bloody knife into the belly of a terrified rabbit. The fliers urge kids to "ask your mommy how many dead animals she killed to make her fur clothes.
http://www.furisdead.com/images/mommyki ... ichead.jpg

"And the sooner she stops wearing fur, the sooner the animals will be safe. Until then, keep your doggie or kitty friends away from mommy - she's an animal killer.''
The flier: http://www.furisdead.com/mommykills300.pdf
Then there was the time ALF let loose a bunch of Mink in someplace, I recall it was Washington State, and wound up costing tax payers money for them all to be collected so they wouldn't ruin the ecosystem.

That said, PETA and ALF are fanatics and should be ignored. PETA is always protesting over something.

I just got my cats started on Eukanuba, as it was in the price range of myself and my boyfriend who both unemployed yet caring for three cats, and was better than Purina as far as the first two ingredients listed on the bag did happen to be Salmon and Rice, just like the bag was titled and the cats seem to really like it. (Do you know that it took me going down to the pet store with him to get him to buy something other than Purina/Purina One?) Hopefully they'll stop vomiting.

And hey, I get bonus points for feeding them a product that has PETA throwing fits about and wants people to boycott. Yeay!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
While animal rights groups (particularly PETA) do tend to exaggerate many things, this does not mean there is not an element of truth to what they say. I have personally served as an advisor on the Iams campaigns. Iams was, to say the least, evasive and uncooperative. For instance, they would agree to cease "invasive" procedures; but they wanted to *exclude* procedures like peritoneal dialysis, which are in fact very invasive.

I have a large file in my office that contains copies of all the studies done by Iams that were cited in IDA's and PETA's initial actions against them. These studies are all published in mainstream veterinary and medical journals; they are easily accessible to the public. They are pretty horrifying. All the major pet food companies have conducted similar experiments over the years. And these are just the published ones; many more experiments were undoubtedly done whose results were not favorable enough to publish.

Let me give you just a couple of examples:

In several experiments, dozens of young cats had 7/8 of their kidneys surgically removed, in order to cause chronic renal failure. This was done in order to "test" protein restriction on the course of the disease. The cats then lived with renal failure until they were killed and necropsied at the end of the study.

To study the effects of diet on bone growth, puppies were fed imbalanced diets for months, then their bones were removed and studied. Of course, they had to be killed to obtain the bones. Some of the orthopedic abnormalities that developed would have caused significant discomfort.

Many other invasive and lethal studies underlie the Iams and Eukanuba diets. The death toll just from these 2 dozen studies is staggering; hundreds of animals have suffered and died to "test" pet foods.

So please be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. PETA has done a great deal to reduce animal suffering, even though we may not like their methods.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've got to admit - PETA is a little nutzo - and with that little quote about how "Your mommy and daddy kill animals... keep them away from your pets." Is just plain crap.

However, we're not talking about some nit-wit who goes around releasing minks in a store (which is just making things worse if one of them were to get out - way to trash the environment brainiacs) but we ARE talking about how a company is torturing animals.

Personally, I was going to switch to Eukanuba - but decided on Wellness instead (because it's better food and costs only a few bucks more). I didn't make my decision based on "Wow... that iams sure does suck for animal testing" but on what I wanted to feed my animal.

If that is what you can afford - it is MUCH better (animal parts included) to feed Eukanuba than some of this crud they put on the shelves. If I ever found myself in a pinch and I couldn't afford better feed - I would probably buy Eukanuba.

Anyways - I don't like what they are doing - but I've never been one to boycott anything. People boycott everything from Iams to Harry Potter books - I just don't get into it. Like I said - if I didn't know there was a better food out there - I would probably feed my cats Eukanuba.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts