Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got several platys over the weekend. I remember yours having fry a while back.

I know that in the community tank if they have fry, they could become fish food. I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank to put any fry in. How exactly do you siphon out the fry? This is new to me.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The fry are VERY hard, near impossible to catch if they are loose in the tank. The best way to handle it is to put the expectant mother in a breeder or birthing trap a few days before you think she is going to give birth. After she is done having the babies, they will be safe in the trap and you can then put them into their own tank. :D The traps are very cheap, about $5.00. :D COngratulations!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Next question. How do you know if any are expecting?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jeanne. I've never had livebearers before. Actually I've never even had fry from eggs before.

I'm still not real sure how to tell the male and female apart. I understand that the male has the gonopodium, but my darn fish won't stay still long enough for me to get a good look at them.

I'll definitely be picking up a breeder when I go to get some plants for my tank.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
The female has a round abdomen. The male has a protrusion--sort of like this __, (only wider) behind his abdomen. He will chase the female and move the organ sideways toward the female, in order to breed her. Egg laying fish are much more tricky to raise! Get yourself a really good book, such as The Encyclopedia of Fishes, and do a lot of reading. It's really helpful. It's just one hardback book.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. I may have babies soon then. One of them is constantly chasing another one of them. 8O

Thanks for the help. I'll keep you guys posted.

Sorry I spelled your name wrong in my earlier response. :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got another question for anyone who has had babies.

Does the water need to be at a certain temperature before they will reproduce?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
In my experience, 80 degrees seems to be the best for platies, guppies, etc. They will reproduce at other temperatures, but they (and the fry) seem to be healthiest and grow the best at abput 80 degrees. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts