Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just can't seem to find solid information on the ideal room temperature for domestic short hair cats. The numbers I found on the Internet range from 62 to 84 degrees F (17-29 degrees C). Does anybody have some educated information or a solid reference I could follow up on? Just got my tiger from the shelter and want to make sure that he's okay (I personally like it warm but I'd probably change my mind if I had to wear his fur). Thanks (also on behalf of Monty)!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hey, welcome to you and Monty! Congrats on your new kitty, pics, please? :D

Now THERE'S a question I haven't encountered before. Awwww, that is just wonderful of you to think like that!
I LOVE getting new thoughts on pampering our kitties to the max!

Don't have any links or info for ya. But I have a few observations to share. The range of temps you mentioned sound fine, especially for short hairs. During several heat waves here, (one week it went up to 110) my kitties didn't start looking miserable until 87 or so. Then we all retreated to the coolest room (it registered 85) and we all survived ok. For the other way, they liked their heating pads when temps went down to 65 or lower. (I have temp gauges in the house).

It's the kitties with long hair, like persians or himmies, that would have more problems with high temps, or like sphinxes with cool temps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks, Superkitties! I guess there's really not a single b/w answer to my question. Well, for now I've put the a/c on 76 dF and we'll see how it goes. Monty, by the way (and thanks for asking), is 7 years old and looks just like your Mozart. I don't have any pictures yet except for the one from the shelter website, but who would want their prison pictures posted...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts