Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Foster cat, less than a year old, has a skin condition that we thought was ringworm until the vet saw him today. A culture done a couple of weeks ago shows that it's not ringworm. Because I've had to suit up and be really careful around him, I've only been visiting him in the cat room once or twice a day since he came home with me two weeks ago.

He's friendly and has been very lonesome. Winds himself around my feet the instant I go into his room; it's a real tripping hazard. But I can pick him up now and carry him around to keep him away from my feet. The problem is that he never learned how to play properly and he bites hard. He came to the shelter 4 months ago and was quarantined until about 3 weeks ago with various health problems. It's amazing that he's as friendly as he is.

I've been doing two things: first, giving him a stuffed animal to wrestle with and bite. If that doesn't stop him, then I squeal like a stuck pig, hiss at him, and get up and leave the room immediately. But today when I started carrying him, he twisted around and tried to bite my nose!

I know he thinks it's all fun and games, because he's usually purring while he bites. (The vet commented on this today, when he took a nip at her.) But no one is going to want to adopt a cat that bites people, so I'd like to break this habit asap!

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If he’s social enough and healthy enough to have another cat around that might help him tremendously. Some of the feral cats I’ve fostered calm down a lot when they have a buddy, and who knows better in how to correct a cat than another cat! I hope he gets a home and learns his manners soon!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CSU-pCatStewards. (Interesting name, what's that all about?) Once he's over this skin problem, he'll be going back to the shelter and I should be able to pair him up there with another young cat for play time. Now that the vet has ruled out ringworm, I've been spending more time with him and holding him more. He's already behaving better, so maybe he was just desperate for attention, poor little guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The name is for our TNR group for a Colorado college :) I wonder what his skin condition is? I wouldn’t think that a dawn soap bath would help. Little guy just wants some love ❤

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From your avatar, I thought maybe you had a truck cat. Vet wasn't sure what the skin problem is . . . maybe a different fungal thing, or an allergy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts