Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally about 3 days ago Cleo started being nicer to Zeus. I guess it just took longer than I thought and now she cleans him and even cuddles him. What I noticed was that when Max went to the hospital and stayed there 2 nights Cleo seemed to forget about him. And when he came home she didnt recognize him. I'm afraid it will happen when Zeus goes to get fixed. What would be the best way of getting her scent on him so she does not flip out again? Someone mentioned brushing him with her brush a lot? or maybe making her sleep on a towel and then rubbing him on that towel when we come home? Any ideas?
I feel so sad that now that everyone actually gets along it will go back to hissing and growling :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The towel method is good. Or if they sleep with towels/blankets, you can switch them so they smell each other's scent. Whatever places they frequent to relax or sleep, just rub towels on them and transfer/mix the scents around.

Cats are near-sighted. Their sight is more geared towards detecting movement, therefore, they'll rely on smell for recognization.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Believe it or not, about 6 weeks ago, I found a vet who makes house calls for routine visits like shots and exams. I had to take my youngest cat to the vet and she wouldn't get in the cage no matter what we did. The vet making the housecall was a woman. She was great - very thorough. She took almost an hour with my youngest cat. When I go to my regular vet's office I get, maybe, 10 minutes of her time. There was a fee of $25 for the housecall but worth it 10 times over. If you're ablt to find someone in your area who does this, give it a try.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I do have a vet around the area that comes and sees Cleo, cause she gets so nervous and sick just from going to the vet. But in this case Zeus is going to get neutered so that cant be a house call :(

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
we actually didnt have any issues. When Boo got fixed, Simba smelled her, and almost had a "glad that wasnt me" attitude. but actually almost kinda missed her. he was looking for her while she was gone. at least we think he was.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I think the brush idea is a good one. Some also suggest putting a dab of vanilla on the back of the neck of both cats, so they smell the same.

Interestingly, whenever Muffs goes to the vet, Abby always hisses at her when she comes home. But when Abby goes to the vet and comes home, there's never any hissing from Muffs. Go figure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts