Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I might be an overbearing cat mom. I've had Benny just for over 24 hours. Within that time, he's ate probably 3 ounces of wellness and may be an ounce or two of canned chicken breast. No raw meat. Not worried about that right now. I'm trying to get him to eat. This morning, I gave him 4 ounces of wellness, 1/4 cup of (gasp) Earthborn Holistics grain free kibble and a sprinkling of gouda cheese. No go. I really really don't want to buy the stuff the MIL had him on (Whiskas and Purina Indoor Cat Chow), so, how do I get him to eat? Fry him up a steak? By the way, Benny is 15 pounds and underweight. My end goal is to get him on 100 percent raw.

I don't understand him not wanting the raw meat because he used to hunt his food before I got him. He also used to steal food from the in-laws.

Not to mention, two of my other three raw fed cats want to eat the stuff Benny is not eating. I'm trying not to allow them to eat his food, but they still get to it. I'm at a loss. Locking the cats up won't help because none of the cats understand the concept of meal time. All four have been and will always be free fed.

The only two ideas I have are 1) let him get good and hungry before he eats (but, again, how do I keep the other three cats out of his food) 2) Cook his food and gradually cook it less and less. But, then, again, the other three would want it.

No, I do not have him separated from the other three cats. My oldest cat knows him and my youngest cat wants to be friends with him (and he's starting to tolerate her). Patches, my 2 year old, is the only one who is completely unsure about him.

Ideas? Help? Any advice would be appreciated.

--Beth

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You have only had him 24 hours and you are worried about him eating? He did eat some. If he's used to eating Purina cat chow, it's ok to give him that while he is getting used to his new environment, plus the Wellness. Then taper off to the other grain-free kibble or taper off the kibble entirely. But obviously , you can't leave it out. Just separate him for a while and offer the food. Then take away the kibble if he hasn't eaten it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Maybe try another brand besides wellness? I know that I have heard many cats don't like the taste, and Banjo doesnt really like it either. I get him to eat it by mixing it with avoderm or EVO. When I first got him from the shelter, he came with a bag of science diet dry and he didnt even recognize canned as food. The fact that Benny has eaten any of the Wellness is a good sign. And 3 oz. is a good amount, and isnt wellness pretty nutrient dense?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In other words, I'm being paranoid and overbearing. Thanks. lol. Benny is my buddy and he knows it. I guess I got worried because he was not eating how much I think he should be eating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts