Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sweet Liam had the PU surgery for his FLUTD two months which required him to spend many weeks in an isolated room for healing purposes. Now he only wants to use the litter box in this back room. This would not be a problem, except my sister left her dog with me when she went overseas, and that back room is on the dog’s side of the baby gate during the day. The dog and the cats do not mix.

Normally, Liam goes outside during the day, but on rainy days or sick days when he cannot it becomes a stressful issue for all involve and he ends up becoming constipated or develops bladder inflammation from his FLUTD.

Any ideas on how to coax my baby back into his litter box on the cat side of the house? This situation is a great amount of stress for me and Liam.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Can you put the dog somewhere else, so that Liam can have his litter box in the back room? You could try some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter in his box as that may get him to use it. Once he starts going there just dress the top of it with the Attract litter but keep do clean the box 2x/day of clumps and poos.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Have you tried moving that particular box into another room? Maybe his smell would help get him to use it elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have been using the cat attract litter. I love it! We started using it when he was urinating outside the box. My first choice would be to make the back room accessible to Liam 24/7, but unfortunately this is not possible. Technically, he can use it but he must traverse through dog territory to do it. I will try moving the box he likes into the garage where his old one is and maybe move this other box into the back room and see what happens. I am always terrified to change something because of the FLUTD. But in the long run it would be less stressful for him then his current gate jumping.

Thank you both for your help and ideas!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts