Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt I would have amazing and neat things for my fur babies and they would be even more spoiled rotten :eek:nekitty But if I won the lottery I would also want to purchase a huge piece of land to build my house on. Then I would allow a feral colony to live on my property. At the shelter people were wanting to bring ferals in all the time because they don't want them pooping in the yard, or biting their children, or any other number of reasons. A lot of no kill shelters aren't equipped to handle ferals so they are taken to kill places to be euthanized. Or people shoot them, or poison them, or other mean things to be rid of them :evil: If I had land I could be like a feral sanctuary. They would be spayed/neutered and I could keep an eye on their medical needs. They would be safe from people who deem them as pests. I would have a nice heated building set up for them where there was plenty of soft and cushy places to sleep and no shortage of food. I would build them a pond to enjoy. And there would be plenty of things for them to hunt! I have a soft spot for ferals and I wish I could do this for them.

So what would you do?

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I've had this thought many times. First, I won a ton of dough in the lottery. I'd build a huge new adoption center like a Humane Society or SPCA. Instead of cages, there are rows and rows of living room-sized rooms, each with a big window, couches, chairs, cat trees, etc., with one or two cats in each. There's a glass wall between the living rooms and the adopters, so you can really see them from a distance. There are little indentations in the wall for food bowls and litterboxes. So while the cats don't have a home yet, they have something that feels like a home, and maybe the transition won't be as hard when they're adopted.

This shelter also has home visits before adoption, and with all the cash we have, maybe even a donation of the first year's worth of cat food, or some other type of stipend that helps people keep their cats. People will be willing to put themselves through the investigation because it's the only shelter in town that helps you afford your pet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
On a smaller scale I would buy a huge house so that I could have room for a bunch of Maine Coons.

On a larger scale I would go along with everyone else and open a sanctuary for all kinds of animals, especially horses and cats.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think I'd start up a sanctuary too. A really comforting one too, that never puts any healthy cat down. I'd get as many cats as I'd like, loads of different breeds and some rescue cats too. I'd let them eat luxury fish and even eat caviar if they wanted. They'd have their own special playroom and a safe private garden with trees and catnip bushes. :D

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
October you sound like youd like to set up a sanctuary like Caboodle Ranch!
About Us

Id buy a place in the moutains and have a medium size house with a barn out back for ferals and rescue horses. Id hire people to take care of them.

Then Id do nothing but give out grants to groups who are TNRing and doing Spay/Neuters. Im a bit burnt out working in the trenches myself. Most groups could do more if they just had the money. One of my friends keep giving us big grants. Which we supply the information of where the money was spent and what we accomplished with the money. I like what Maddies fund does. I would approach it in the same way.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A shelter for holiday pets given as a gift then after it's over not wanted any more.They're really common here mostly the so called "designer dog breeds" and cats but sometimes we see anything from ferrets to mini horses!Also I'd have cat friendly gardens/outdoor pens for potential adopters to interact with the kitties.Also I'd donate to The Daffy Pet Soup Kitchen as well.But just for Me,Boo,Gavin,and Ellie I have a nice house with all the kitty & birdie necessities and then some!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Mow, you just woke up Prince because you made me laugh so hard. :-( Please put a "hilarious" alert on your posts from now on.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I'd stop working and spend my time searching for strays in my country that are doing particularly badly in the streets and adopting them into my huge house, which would be all especially adapted for cats and would have a huge park with trees for them to spend the days in. I'd hire young adult helpers with kind hearts and bad starts in life, and give them food and boarding. I'd have an in-house vet clinic, a no-nonsense cat behaviorist, a dietician, a beautician and a kitty-garden teacher, and I'd charge enormeous amounts of money from the rich to have their pets hosted during their vacations, and treated and convelesced in my cat paradise. I'd use the money to keep enlarging my estate to adopt more cats. I'd lobby in gov't to promote laws for the welfare of stray cats and ENFORCE them, and I'd donate for TNR campaigns. I'd donate to schools with the condition that they educate children in the importance of animal protection.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
While it would be nice to do something grand like a sanctuary, it's too much an intimidating venture for me. I'd just donate to one already made by somebody else!

Other than giving to charity, here's my priorities:

* pay the taxes on it!

* pay off debt (mostly medical bills, but I do admit that sometimes I do get "credit card crazy" a couple times a year and do a couple hundred dollars...usually around Christmas and summer)

* savings account with at least $2,000 that will be used for emergencies only! like car breaking down, house appliances breaking, etc. ...not "oh, I suddenly 'need' this new gadget for fun!" kind of 'emergencies'

* buy a new car and extended warranty (getting tired of fixing my used/cheap cars ALL THE TIME). Depending on how much money I had to buy and spend afterward, I'd either get a fuel efficient car (for the long-term savings), or just a small SUV (there's many times I need to haul stuff that just barely won't fit into my car! it's annoying)

* buy a house. Nothing huge or fancy... I actually want a little farmhouse, 3 bedrooms max! It's a big yard that I want, instead... totally fenced in for my kitties (or just have a huge screened patio)

* college fund for my nephew and/or money put away for a care facility for my dad (though I doubt he'll ever really need it) or myself (probably need it more than my dad ever will!)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would probably give money to an already established rescue organization for them to expand their efforts. I would also give money to the vet clinic of my choosing so that they could set up a regular time each month that they offer low cost spays and neuters, and maybe a bi weekly day where they offer low cost vaccinations/worming/FIV and FELV testing.

There are a bunch of things I would do for my personal life obviously lol. Like go back to Africa to see these guys again

·
Banned
36 Posts
If I won the Lottery . . . .

I would buy 5-10 acres, depending on what was available. I would build a single story, ranch style, 4 bedroom home with a dinning room, kitchen, living room, study and walkin pantry. I would have walk ramps along the ceiling, through all doorways in the living, dinning, and study rooms, a couple of walls covered in climbing, scratching, and sleeping surfaces somewhere in the house, probably one in the living room and one in the study. Another wall in the Study would be a herp wall for my corn snakes. I would have a small rodent barn with AC and heat and water for my mice, I would have a specialized rabbit barn, and some regular farm stuff. I would consider a ferret barn with fully enclosed outside area, and perhaps a feral cat barn with a fully enclosed play area as well. I would want at least 3 acres wooded for woodburing heat, and 1-2 acres for garden and various animal feed suppliments. Ok I would need 10-15 or even 20 acres to accomidate the buildings lol. My tame kitties would be in the house, the ferals would have a lovely building of their own. Ah to dream :catmilk Thanks for posting the question!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts