Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of my 5 cats was diagnosed with CRF. As a volunteer at a local shelter I'm very familiar with CRF and it's treatments. I've got a list of all the lowest phosphorus canned foods and have switched the CRF kitty to very low phosphorus foods.

My cats all ate Natural Balance canned for the last 5 years, which just happens to be one of the highest phosphorus foods out there. It just gets me to thinking that if 30% of all cats succumb to this horrible disease, couldnt we slow it down or prevent it by feeding lower phosphorus foods to begin with? I've been trying to start a canned food rotation instead of just pure Natural Balance and I'm having a beast of a time finding a lower phosphorus food all 5 cats will eat.

Anyone with CRF cats thought about this before? I only feed ultra premium with the best ingredients canned and a very small amount of Pinnacle Cat dry as a snack to the healthy kitties. The CRF kitty gets whatever he will eat, usually one of the low phosphorus Fancy Feast varieties.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
The feline physiology is designed to meet its nutritional needs from meat and other prey-based ingredients. Most meat is high in phosphorus. It is an essential electrolyte that all cats require. Healthy cats' kidneys can handle species-appropriate amounts of phosphorus with no problem. When you reduce phosphorus, you run the risk of creating potentially dangerous electrolyte imbalances. It's not a good idea to impose electrolyte imbalances on healthy cat bodies. Don't mess with electrolytes unless something's already throwing them out of whack ... like renal disease.

Laurie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts