Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. but what the heck.

Is it my imagination, or has there been a lot of ... err .. slight 'unpleasantness' going on in the lounge recently? Admitedly, I have participated in some threads that could be described as 'confrontational' (I just hope I've never been unkind) .. but it seems that, of late, a significant number of them have taken a rather 'unfortunate' turn and then have had to be locked or removed. Its really beginning to put me off posting on a thread unless its all 'light and fluffy' ... all very nice but I quite like a debate as long as it doesnt get unpleasant.

Its getting to the point where I'm just watching certain threads and waiting for the car crash ... :?

I mean, for goodness sake, look how the Gordon Ramsey thread has turned out!!! (mild in comparison to some .. but all the same)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I've also noticed that some threads have turned argumentative here, Allie. Having developed a sense for which threads are going to turn into a train wreck helps a bit. I usually just lurk on those, and wonder what the problem is. 8)

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gunterkat said:
I've also noticed that some threads have turned argumentative here, Allie. Having developed a sense for which threads are going to turn into a train wreck helps a bit. I usually just lurk on those, and wonder what the problem is. 8)
Yep. I know the feeling.

Well, think I might just enjoy the kitty cam instead. ;) Much more entertaining.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lol - I was thinking the same! Tho as I'm fairly new I wasn't sure if that was the norm :wink:

I promote the daily use of emoticons :D

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Don't worry Allie, it isn't just you. :wink: I tend to stay away from the intense threads, knowing all to well what they will turn into. I usually miss all the drama, and that's completely ok with me! I'm no good at debate anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I've noticed this too, Allie, and my honest opinion on it is that sometimes you just have to pick and choose which debates are important enough to you to take part in. What turns me off from debate, though, is when the words get harsh (personally) towards other posters. There are many varying opinions and there should not be a need to get nasty about other opinions.

Edited to add an important word that completely changes the sentence! :oops:

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I must be missing most of those... I tend to try to stay away from things that could raise my blood pressure. Of course, I stumble once in a while, but it just reminds me of why I prefer to stay away from those prickley topics.

Personally, I blame the trend you are seeing on "cabin fever" or "can't wait for spring fever" or "if I can't open a window and get some fresh air in here we're all gonna suffer! Muwahahahahahaha!!!!". Whoops. Wait a minute...did I say that last one out loud?

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But people shouldn't have to 'stay away' from threads. Debate is fine, obviously, but yes its the harsh (and sometimes darnright patronising) tones and personal insults that really get to me. Completely unnecessary.

Anyway. I'll pop down from the soap box now.

And, yep, I could hear you from here, Heidi. :lol:

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
I know, let's start a "happy" thread. You know, name a thing that makes you happy, or something good that happened today. I'll go do it.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
I also tend to just lurk when the threads look like they will be nasty. I really really hate arguments. Its OK when people can discuss things when there is a difference of opinion and agree to disagree, but too often there are people who will not allow for an opinion different from their own.
I like the idea of a happy thread. Maybe now would be a good time to start a thread I have been thinking about. A cat-forum people appreciation thread. Maybe it will be lame and nobody will want to post, but I think I will put it out there and see.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
It saddens me to think that new members like lilyb might judge our forum by some recent problems. This is not what Catman had in mind when he started this forum. We were and are different from many other forums, in that we do not welcome contentious threads. You can be sure that the mods are especially aware of what has been happening, and will do whatever is necessary to put a stop to it. It is only an occasional thread in which some members become belligerent, but even an occasional insult is forbidden by the very first rule. We must treat other members with respect!

Philosophical discussion is very enjoyable and educational, but, in accordance with the rules of philosophy and the forum, must be respectful.

We have always made it quite clear that insults and unkind posts are not acceptable. Good discussions are quite possible among intelligent, respectful people, and most of our members fit that description. Periodically, we get a member who thinks that contention is the only way to get attention, and those people are informed that they must correct their behavior or leave. I hope that our community always stands out because of its friendliness and a source of information and friendship. We have some great members!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts